Healthy, Organic, Non-GMO but not sure how to start

Options
Hi,

I am trying to get started here but cannot figure out a direction. Mainly, I am seeking something organic, non-GMO, healthy and related oriented. I can't seem to figure out how to get started here. (I guess I need to get a scale and figure out how much I really weigh. So far, everything is just a guess.) Still, I feel lost and can't seem to get going. :( Initially, I was planning on doing Weight Watcher WW points system but only eat whole food organic. Still, I am MEGA-CONFUSED, cry-ey cat. How can I get going on a healthy, organic plan for an athlete? (I do have a mega-athletic background.)

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,799 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. :) Yes, if you really want to set goals you need to know what your starting point is. Get a scale to weigh yourself and then choose how often you'll weigh. Some people prefer to weigh daily (I do) and others only once a week or every so often. Up to you, but try to be consistent as to when you do it. I prefer in the morning before I eat anything. Don't focus too much on the individual numbers and instead watch the trend over time.

Also start weighing and logging your foods. It might sound like a hassle, but a food scale is your friend.

Sometimes it's easier to start by tracking your current food and exercise for a few weeks, without making any changes. Then you can look back at your logs and see where you need to make adjustments. This is true whether you're trying to lose weight, gain it, or just watch your macros and nutrients. Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You get going by logging the food you eat, after working out your calorie goal. It doesn't matter if you're eating organic or not, log it. The app doesn't tell you what to eat, you can make those decisions for yourself....
  • SunshineChristmasCat
    Options
    Yes, SugarAddict4321, that makes sense as I just need to take some action, like logging what I eat now. Hopefully, once I do that, I will get some plan as far as how to proceed. I guess that is what it is. I feel overwhelmed trying to figure out some plan for this. THANKS for your help. :smile:
  • SunshineChristmasCat
    Options
    Thank you, LivingLeanLivingClean. I guess I have to figure out a calorie goal.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight then the only thing you need to do is be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goal. What foods you're eating though within those calories doesn't matter. No need to make drastic changes to what you're eating-that just leads to frustration and long term adherence failure. Focus on making realistic and sustainable changes you can do for the long term!

Enter your info here into MFP and it will give you your calorie target with the deficit you need already built in. Then start logging your calorie intake, learn to do correct portion sizes (a food scale is great for this!), and then as you go along you'll learn what foods have higher satiety levels for you, what low calorie substitutions work for you (one of my big ones was switching from regular soda to diet soda), and then what new foods you can add, that will help you hit your calorie and nutrition targets. No need to cut things out that you enjoy, but focus on having a diet full of variety and balance :)
  • SunshineChristmasCat
    Options
    Thanks @crzycatlady1 . I guess that is what I need to do. Just figure out my correct weight, then calories and work with that. In the past I have never lost weight using calories; so I guess the idea seemed so foreign to me. Thanks again for your insight. :smile:
  • SunshineChristmasCat
    Options
    Thank you, @sugaraddict4321 and @livingleanlivingclean . I probably did not properly tag you in the other messages. Just wanted you both to know I appreciate your help.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,799 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You're welcome! :)@SunshineChristmasCat