Epsom salt and water retention

A lot of people have been telling me to take an Epsom salt bath to tying to reduce he water retention in my legs. Would that really help? Has anyone used it before?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    No one?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,009 Member
    I know it's great for sore muscles, I've not tried it for water retention...
  • elphie754
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Apparently not. :/ I assume you have tried elevating your legs. Have you tried compression socks or stockings?

Yes neither have helped all that much.

• elphie754
    I've seen MMA fighters use it to cut weight, but I don't know how it would work for swollen legs. Any reason not to try? Cleared by doc?

She said it can't hurt, but she wasn't sure how successful it would be.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I take an Epsom Salt bath after my long run each week to help reduce muscle soreness in my legs brought on by the high mileage of marathon training. It does provide relief. I don't really have a water retention problem, so I don't have any experience to offer related to that.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Hi again @elphie754, I use epsom salt baths along with bi-carb soda in the water as well, to help with the aches and pains of the Lupus.

I have found also it helping with fluid retention, don't know whether that is a direct result of the magnesium (some claims about magnesium seem to give it miraculous powers) or a by-product of just lessening inflammation and soothing aches and pains.

Either way I'll take whatever help I can get ;)
  • elphie754
    Hi again @elphie754, I use epsom salt baths along with bi-carb soda in the water as well, to help with the aches and pains of the Lupus.

I have found also it helping with fluid retention, don't know whether that is a direct result of the magnesium (some claims about magnesium seem to give it miraculous powers) or a by-product of just lessening inflammation and soothing aches and pains.

Either way I'll take whatever help I can get ;)

Will try adding that tonight.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Yes. We use it here for water retention. A 20 minutes soak in about 1-2 cups of epsom salts seems to pull things down quite bit. Be prepared to pee. And since you're pregnant, make sure your water isn't too hot.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I had swollen ankles at the end of every day towards the end of my first pregnancy. Turned out that I had pre-eclampsia. I remember that you're a paramedic and it's unlikely that you wouldn't know it if you had the same, but I can't help but ask. My doctor advised me to quit work to reduce stress. I argued that I loved my job and the people I worked with, and couldn't see how that would help. She said if I didn't quit that she would order bedrest. I quit and my BP dropped and ankles stopped blowing up.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Epsom salts are magnesium. Magnesium aids in relaxing cramps and sore muscles. I believe, though have no proof, that this help recovery and thus releasing water retention cause by workouts. Whether or not it does this for other types of water retention, like hormonal or sodium induced, I doubt it. Epsom salts are used frequently for horses with strains and sprains as a soak or part of a poultice.

I personally take magnesium supplements. Turns out I never get enough from food sources and last time I tried dieting and working out hard at the same time I.suffered severe hip and glute cramping (for over a month) before I nailed it down to magnesium deficiency. OTC supplements partially relieved cramping within an hour.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Try also electrolytes - I take them for yoga but also if I'm experienceing water retention..

I use 'Ultima' which Is all natural, no sugar, or NUUN tablets (also all natural) which you can buy in whoelfoods or on amazon.

I also like Cyrotherapy but don't think you can do that while pregnant!
  • elphie754
    Yes. We use it here for water retention. A 20 minutes soak in about 1-2 cups of epsom salts seems to pull things down quite bit. Be prepared to pee. And since you're pregnant, make sure your water isn't too hot.

Already accidentallyhad too hot of water lol. My feet went from being cold walking around barefoot on the cold hard wood floor, to too warm of water-ouch!
    I had swollen ankles at the end of every day towards the end of my first pregnancy. Turned out that I had pre-eclampsia. I remember that you're a paramedic and it's unlikely that you wouldn't know it if you had the same, but I can't help but ask. My doctor advised me to quit work to reduce stress. I argued that I loved my job and the people I worked with, and couldn't see how that would help. She said if I didn't quit that she would order bedrest. I quit and my BP dropped and ankles stopped blowing up.

Thankfully preeclampsia has been ruled out. The vampires at the lab drew lots of blood as well as doing the 24 urine collection. As of now, I have asked my employer for short term disability which they are granting. Not much money but it's better than nothing at all. I am currently bedrest fornother complications.
    Epsom salts are magnesium. Magnesium aids in relaxing cramps and sore muscles. I believe, though have no proof, that this help recovery and thus releasing water retention cause by workouts. Whether or not it does this for other types of water retention, like hormonal or sodium induced, I doubt it. Epsom salts are used frequently for horses with strains and sprains as a soak or part of a poultice.

I personally take magnesium supplements. Turns out I never get enough from food sources and last time I tried dieting and working out hard at the same time I.suffered severe hip and glute cramping (for over a month) before I nailed it down to magnesium deficiency. OTC supplements partially relieved cramping within an hour.

Seeing OB tomorrow and will be asking her if there are any OTC supplements that are safe.