Newly diagnosed with PCOS

Options
My name is Sara. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I know I need to make some changes, I just don't know where to begin. It is hard for me to stay motivated and I don't know what can change that. I know I am supposed to be low carb, high protein. I never cook at home, I never work out. To be honest I am terrified because I have no clue how to even do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello. I also have PCOS. I started meeting with an FNP dietician/nutritionist (I can't remember the difference) in June 2016 after my diagnosis. She has helped me lose 40+ lbs in that time.

My diary is open, but here is what she taught me. Fisrt, eat 5 times a day. She called it metabolic eating. Three main meals and 2 snacks in between. Snacks are pretty easy - pair a protein with non-starchy vegetables, low glycemic fruit, or whole grains. Like greek yogurt and granola, PB and apple, carrots and hummus, celery and PB. For your main meals, make half a child's plate with non starchy vegetables, then add 4-6 oz lean protein, and no more than 1/2 cup of complex carbs. No refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, enriched/bleached flour, or artificial sugars/colors/flavors as the first 5 ingredients. Drink a gallon of water a day. She limited me to 1200-1300 calories a day at first, which was very doable for me, and walking 10k steps. I lost the weight quickly and rarely felt hungry. She recently increased my calories since I have started lifting.

Unfortunately, my sugar numbers haven't budged, but she said it takes time. So, if they aren't down in another month, then we are going to try metformin. My doctor just started me on spironolactone and Loestrin FE for my hair loss and cystic acne. Hoping it gets some of that under control.

I wish you all the best, and if you want to add me, feel free.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are several threads and an MFP group for those of us with PCOS. I know it's overwhelming, but do some reading, and just keep it simple. Slow and steady wins the race.

1) Set your calorie goal for moderate weight loss. Trust the MFP calculator. Sustainability is key.

2) Consider keeping your carb count to between 100 and 150g. PCOS often means insulin resistance, so reduced carbs can mean less hunger and more reliable losses. Learning to cook is up to you, but you'll find it's more difficult to hit calorie and carb counts if you don't.

3) Find an exercise you like and do it vigorously most days of the week for about 45 minutes. Your body doesn't know how to process food efficiently, and the exercise will help.

As an example, here's my situation. I am set for a 1-pound/week loss. I eat out twice a week, and either cook or eat simple things that don't need prep (nuts, fruit, single-serving hummus and guac w/ celery or carrots, etc.). I eat about 150g of carbs daily, except in race weeks, when I increase it for performance reasons. I've found that I love rowing, so I'm following a structured training program where I do that 3 days a week, run or walk hills 3 days a week, and rest 1 day. I should also lift, but haven't incorporated that yet. I schedule a race twice a year to keep motivated. I'm 5'10", started at 248, am now at 216, and my goal is 170.

As for motivation, there's a great older thread here about your WHY. Why do you want it? Do you want kids and the PCOS is messing with your fertility? I conceived both of my kids at the exact weight when I dropped from "obese" to "overweight" BMI. Do you feel unhealthy? What long-term goal requires that you do this? Dig deep for it. It has to be a goal worthy of permanent lifestyle changes. Nothing wrong with wanting to wear smaller pants, but that's not exactly life-changing.

I like the metaphor of when people get engaged. Stop thinking about the perfect wedding, and start working on a happy marriage.

Now get started! :)
  • ellebronwyn89
    ellebronwyn89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS over ten years ago in high school. I had no periods, gained over 60 lbs in less than 3 months and had excess body and facial hair. out of ever diet change i have tried, the Paleo diet has helped me the most with all my symptoms...high protein low carb. I was a vegan for over 8 years and that made it worse.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My name is Sara. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I know I need to make some changes, I just don't know where to begin. It is hard for me to stay motivated and I don't know what can change that. I know I am supposed to be low carb, high protein. I never cook at home, I never work out. To be honest I am terrified because I have no clue how to even do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Why don't you ever cook again home?
  • sarajgraves
    sarajgraves Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I don't have enough time, and I only know how to cook a few things. My mother never ever cooked, my whole life I have lived off of frozen meals or eating out. I want to learn how to be able to cook with working 60 hours a week.
  • sarajgraves
    sarajgraves Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello. I also have PCOS. I started meeting with an FNP dietician/nutritionist (I can't remember the difference) in June 2016 after my diagnosis. She has helped me lose 40+ lbs in that time.

My diary is open, but here is what she taught me. Fisrt, eat 5 times a day. She called it metabolic eating. Three main meals and 2 snacks in between. Snacks are pretty easy - pair a protein with non-starchy vegetables, low glycemic fruit, or whole grains. Like greek yogurt and granola, PB and apple, carrots and hummus, celery and PB. For your main meals, make half a child's plate with non starchy vegetables, then add 4-6 oz lean protein, and no more than 1/2 cup of complex carbs. No refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, enriched/bleached flour, or artificial sugars/colors/flavors as the first 5 ingredients. Drink a gallon of water a day. She limited me to 1200-1300 calories a day at first, which was very doable for me, and walking 10k steps. I lost the weight quickly and rarely felt hungry. She recently increased my calories since I have started lifting.

Unfortunately, my sugar numbers haven't budged, but she said it takes time. So, if they aren't down in another month, then we are going to try metformin. My doctor just started me on spironolactone and Loestrin FE for my hair loss and cystic acne. Hoping it gets some of that under control.

Thank you for all of the advice. I have just been on Metformin for about a week. Luckily I haven't experienced any bad side effects from the medicine. I am starting to get the hair loss and acne too, maybe I should talk to my doctor about the medicine you're on.

I am going to try my best to make the changes I can with my diet and exercise, I work 60 hours a week so this is going to be a real challenge.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Start small. Buy a cookbook and make a one meal at home a week. If you drink soda try replacing 2 sodas a day with water then keeping changing things, swapping the good with the bad and eventually it will be natutal. I struggled with PCOS but lost the weight and its pretty much in the past. I have eliminated every symptom besides maybe 1 cyst in the last 3 years. Don't think of everything at once focus on changing one thing
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I don't have enough time, and I only know how to cook a few things. My mother never ever cooked, my whole life I have lived off of frozen meals or eating out. I want to learn how to be able to cook with working 60 hours a week.

Learn on the weekend and batch cook stuff you can reheat throughout the week.
  • jellyseal
    jellyseal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS for six months now.

There's a few apps that lets you keep track of foods GI. I found it useful in the beginning to lowering my GI intake.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options

Thank you for all of the advice. I have just been on Metformin for about a week. Luckily I haven't experienced any bad side effects from the medicine. I am starting to get the hair loss and acne too, maybe I should talk to my doctor about the medicine you're on.

I am going to try my best to make the changes I can with my diet and exercise, I work 60 hours a week so this is going to be a real challenge.

Its not a bad med, that's for sure. I don't have any bad side effects with it. Just remember to take it with food. It helps with the testosterone. So, hopefully, that can help with your acne and hair loss, too!
  • mlrubeor
    mlrubeor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. Been diagnosed a year and on metformin. We're I'm this together. Feel free to add me
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I heat up a bag of frozen veggies in the microwave and season with spices, salad dressing, or A1. Super fast and easy. I hit the grocery for sushi or a cooked chicken on my way home to go with veggies instead of eating out. Hard boiled eggs, almonds, greek yogurt, canned beans, and berries are quick foods for lunch boxes and breakfast too. The first week is the worst. Stick to your new plan that first 3 - 6 days then it gets easier. Then repeat repeat and find ways to mix it up when needed. Good luck!