Need help to warm up correctly for weight training

Options
Hey everybody I'm reaching out for some advice I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 three times a week and I'm 48 years old looking for advice on how to warm up for this routine without wearing myself out to warm up for the routine please help

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    https://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
    DeFranco's Agile 8 is also pretty smart: https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8

At a bare miniumum, I use some form of dynamic stretching to get the target muscles contracting, blood flowing, and the joints moving. I then proceed with progressive load, decreasing rep pattern like the one described in the first link. This weight should be really easy to move and therefore you don't need to take a long break in between warmup sets. I usually add the weight onto the bar and then maybe wait another 20 seconds between warmup sets.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I use the Stronglifts app with the paid add on and once you reach a certain weight, it suggests warm-ups of 2 sets of 5 with empty bar. As you get more weight it adds a single 3 rep set with some weight. It also avoids warms up where not needed (light deadlift since squat should have you warmed up). I think it was worth the few bucks for the paid add on.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I find using a rowing machine in my gym for 5-10 mins is a good warm up. Maybe use the Olympic bar for some warm up? I stretch for about 5-10 mins using the bar on the rack. And I don't use them but resistance bands are good and easy to bring into the gym. Just wrap them around the bar and stretch.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I usually can lift a bit more weight with better form if I do about 5-10 minutes loosening up my glutes, hips and shoulders. Just some dynamic stretching and mobility exercises. I do that before my warmup weight on my lifts.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I usually will try to do some sort of hip stretches to make sure my hip flexors are firing as well as as some sort of glute activation along with a few dynamic stretches. Pair that with some upper shoulder mobility and I am usually good to go for a few light warm up sets. Typical warm up will look like this.

Kneeling hip flexor stretch, pigeon stretch, side leg swing, forward leg swing, PVC pass throughs, sumo squat stretch, 20 air squats, 20 pushups.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Since I am also 48 years old, I thought I should reply...

When lifting upper body, I am pretty unscientific. I grab a 5 lb free weight and roll both shoulders forward and backward, as if warming up to throw a baseball. Then I rotate both directions around my waist 2 or 3 times, then concluding with a few standing triceps lifts from behind my head.

When working legs, I try to walk 5-10 minutes around the gym or house before getting to workout speed.

Most importantly, stretch AFTER any workout, regardless of muscle groups used. Good luck!!!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Bell on YouTube, he has some great videos about warming up. Empty barbell only isn't really ideal. I don't feel like I can add anything beyond what he hits on in his videos though!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Bell on YouTube, he has some great videos about warming up. Empty barbell only isn't really ideal. I don't feel like I can add anything beyond what he hits on in his videos though!

Love his warm-up video!
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm dreadfully impatient, I usually do a bit of planking, stretch briefly, then get to it!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Alan Thrall has a really decent video on warming up and stretches that many lifters could benefit from.

https://youtu.be/s9Tcj0YK5zM
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    trudie_b wrote: »
    I'm dreadfully impatient, I usually do a bit of planking, stretch briefly, then get to it!

I'm like that too, but I've found that warming up properly for a good 10-15 minutes prior to my warmup sets actually makes a huge difference on how much I can lift and how easy my sets feel. So lately I've really forced myself to warm up. I'll even set a timer for it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching and then no weight on bar for a set or two to acclimate the movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I'm rapidly approaching you in age, and when I was younger I've given myself some nasty injuries by not warming up appropriately first. These days my warm up is exceedingly simple:

Whatever muscle group I'm doing, I do super light sets of the first compound movement just long enough to feel lactic acid build up and get the muscles warm from blood flow. That's it. So for example if it's chest day I might do 30 reps with 30lbs dumb bells on the bench real quick. This seems to be enough to get the muscle's spri and avoid injury for me.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Would also suggest foam rolling to help loosen your muscles. This has become a must do for me before my leg days; I've seen an increase in mobility and also load size since making it a part of my routine.