Running with a double stroller

Options
Has anyone tried running with a double stroller? I have two lovely munchkins and I really want to go for a run in the mornings before I drop my little one off at pre k. Only problem is I have no idea how I'm going to cope and keep up a good speed. Any mamas thag excerise with kids keep me updated.

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I just sold my double stroller! I only ran with my kids a few times- it was a bit too intense for me. My kids are too big for it hence why I sold it, but my husband would run with the kids in the stroller all the time. If you can get a Bob stroller I highly recommend it!

I'd also say go as slow as you need to.
  • liftinggoddess1
    liftinggoddess1 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not a double, but once I ran pushing a single stroller. My running partner brought her niece and we alternated each mile. There is no keeping a good pace, you just do you best, it's significantly more difficult. Especially on hills.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't with a double. They say expect to run a minute per mile slower with a stroller, at least. I'm guessing that would be more with two. So, be prepared to be slower, that doesn't mean the effort won't be the same.
    You don' t mention if you have a running stroller but I'd definitely recommend one if you are going to do this. I have the Bob and love it.
    I have friends who have a Chariot and swear by it. It also can convert to a bike trailer too if that's your thing.
    I went with the Bob because I was planning to use it as my everyday stroller too. While the Chariot is great for running, it doesn't fold up and is pretty large, so not great as an everyday stroller (the bob has drawbacks too like less storage but it has the front wheel that changes from fixed to swivel allowing for better maneuvering and folds up).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Run slower or walk if it gets too difficult!
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Running with a stroller is much harder so you have to set different expectations on pace and distance. It also significantly changes your running stride and body mechanics because you can't use your arms for swinging. If you have a very responsive stroller you might be able to guide it with one hand as you run and swing with other. Alternating hands. But, with 2 kids this might get hard. I ran 4-5 times with my toddler and then gave up as my hip started to ache and I didn't enjoy my runs.
  • mltrades
    mltrades Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did a 5 km circuit with my 2 kids each morning when the younger one was in pre-K; they were about 80 lbs total. I ran with a cheap version of a stroller similar to the chariot. Definitely much slower but great exercise and worked the core as well. Good luck! I spent half of the run with just my daughter and it was great time together as we chatted about the scenery etc.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have done it, and I have to say I'd rather rather cut my toenails with a chainsaw than run with my kids. It had nothing to do with the stroller, and everything to do with the passengers. Once my lunatics were old enough to go for a run in the stroller, they wanted to do the running. So, each workout was filled with tears and frustration about being strapped in. Also, I live in a rural area, where you're running on main roads with 55 mph speed limits. That's terrifying when you're pushing a stroller with kids. If your kids are a little more flexible than mine, plan on about 2 min/mile slower. It definitely pushes your heart rate, and is an amazing core blaster, too. Get a good stroller. You can find a used BOB at a reasonable price. I started with a Walmart cheapo, and while it was fine for a walk, it vibrated way too much to run with it.
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both run with our double and single BOB. No way would I rum with any other stroller! Of course it's more difficult and we go slower, but it's very manageable.
  • liftinggoddess1
    liftinggoddess1 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have an uppababy vista.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to run with a single. My daughter is 9 now though. It slowed me down 20-30 seconds per mile.

I've seen guys run sub-40:00 10ks with double stroller and kids...