Losing Fat While Gaining Muscle

Is it possible to lose fat while still building muscle?
I don't know what my current bf% is but I'm sure it's too high. I'm out of shape and have only recently started trying to take control of my body by eating right and exercising. My muscles haven't been getting much use in the last few years, I've lived a very sedentary lifestyle, but now I'm going to gym 5x a week and doing both cardio and some strength training.
I'd like to see the scale go down into a healthy range and to lose a few inches, but more importantly I'd like to improve my strength and stamina. I know with the body type I have I'm never going to be a 120lb size 2, but I'm OK with that. I'd much rather be a rock solid size 8 who can bench more than her own weight. I'd like to lose all the jiggle, for sure, but I'm not concerned with having a six pack or a bunch of visible flashy muscles (though I certainly wouldn't complain if I did...) I just want to be strong as hell, have good stamina, and stay limber and healthy.
So, can I lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? Or do I need to get down to my goal weight and then start doing more strength training? Or is it all about staying in a calorie deficit regardless?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    You need to be doing resistance now. It helps prevent you from losing more muscle than necessary while losing weight and it helps you get stronger. You may build some muscle while eating in a deficit but it will be less than if you ate at maintenance or above. But building muscle is not a priority now--losing fat and protecting existing muscle are higher priorities at this point.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Visit the groups here called Stonglifts 5x5 for Women, and Eat, Train, Progress. They have a ton of information and moderators who are really helpful.

It's very challenging to lose weight while simultaneously "gaining" muscle. Beginner lifters tend to have a spurt of easy strength gains as your body adapts to this new thing, and you'll want to take advantage of that--but be mindful that gaining actual volume of muscle takes either 1) caloric excess while lifting progressively heavier weights; or 2) "recomposition," which is a very careful procedure of lifting weights while eating at maintenance, where fat is lost extremely slowly (over months) while muscle is gained extremely slowly. But you maintain your weight/calories.

Since you want to LOSE weight, you have to eat in a calorie deficit. If you start lifting now, you'll be way better off in the long run, as weightlifting (properly) will help you maintain more muscle than you would if you did not lift weight. Calorie deficit without lifting = both fat and muscle loss. Calorie deficit while weight lifting = more fat lost than muscle.

There's alot to this, sometimes it's overwhelming; then there is the simple matter of just lift...lift heavy with a defined program. It's never a bad time to lift.

Also look at the thread "HALP, lifting made me SUPAH bulky" if you want inspiration, or other threads that show results of lifting....truly amazing transformations.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes and no. If you are new to weight lifting you'll get those newbie gains. If you've been lifting for a while and cutting the concensous is no. Though you could always eat at maintainence and recomp. That would really be the only way without bulking, but its a very slow process. Though don't confuse gaining muscle with gaining strength. You can most definitely strengthen those muscles you already have by using them. And you'll find as you lose bf you have a lot more muscle than you thought you did.