Nervous about working with a trainer

Options
I just started this weekend. I ache really bad but optimistic about change in my life but I am not a pro with this exercise thing and today I started to feel bad for my trainer. Lol. I'm just nervous because I'm shy and not always the most open person.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why would you feel bad for your trainer...my guess is that the vast majority of his/her clients aren't physically fit...his/her job is to help you get there.
  • jeanne2121
    jeanne2121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At some points of my assessment he was trying to instruct me and I just wasn't understanding
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jeanne2121 wrote: »
    At some points of my assessment he was trying to instruct me and I just wasn't understanding

Don't worry...it'll come together. Nobody is a "pro" when they're starting out...I'm sure this wasn't the first time he got blank stairs...it's part of their job.

As far as "shy" goes, your relationship will evolve over time. When I first started working with my trainer it was kind of awkward and I felt like both of us were just making random small talk...three years later, he's one of my best friends and we hang out with him and his wife and their two kids (about the same age as ours) socially all of the time. We went on vacation with them back in May.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

That's normal. Blank faces staring back are how it goes. Give it time, he'll figure out how to get what he wants you to do & you'll eventually understand.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

this happens to me. a lot. i don't think i'm all that unusual, but i do seem to have spent most of my life needing to teach other people how to teach me.

it's not insurmountable, but ime you do need two things: you need to do your own side of it by figuring out how to isolate what your confusion's about. and you need a trainer who's even heard of the concept 'people think differently'. the first part is your job, but the second part . . . well, figuring out how to work with the way people's minds work is part of what they're meant to be earning your money with.

it seems almost axiomatic that the 'body' professions are well stocked with people to whom it comes to naturally that they genuinely can't get their head around why someone else doesn't 'just' understand. but the good teachers in any profession are the people who don't have that block.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer for about 6 mos. now. When he mentions an exercise or muscle or position I am not familiar with, I ask him to please show me. If it's a move I can't envision, I ask him show me (break it down) and then do one with me. And I try to really focus and concentrate on form even if it means a slower first set. You'll get it!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Trainers job is to teach you in a way you can understand. Most trainers are used to all types of people & learners. There is no need to be open or outgoing. Relax!
  • jeanne2121
    jeanne2121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for helping. I feel better. I just felt stupid because I couldn't properly do a push up
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm a visual learner, too. Don't tell me how, *show* me how!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks for helping. I feel better. I just felt stupid because I couldn't properly do a push up

Oh jeepers, check out my "push-ups are the devil thread" LoL - those definitely don't come easy for everyone! Just keep trying!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    today I started to feel bad for my trainer.

Its his/her job. If he/she doesn't like their job its his/her problem. No reason to feel bad for them, you're paying them!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

Also, keep in mind women tend to be weaker in their upper body than men and when compared to their lower body strength, so it should be no surprise that you struggle with pushups. If your trainer is experienced they'll know that.