Pear shaped belly/getting rid of belly fat- Any one else have the horizontal crease?

Options
Since I was little I've always had this horizontal crease right at my belly botton (like, my belly's okay, dips in, returns to how it was... or something)- and I'm so sick of this belly. And, in general, being out of shape. I have a pretty physically demanding job, lots of barn work (mostly lifting and the rare case of manic chasing loose horses- nothing that really impacts) and horse riding, so fitness is... kind of not an option at this point! Since riding as become such an integral part of my life and what pays me, I can't be... soft, I guess. ESPECIALLY my core.

I also... REALLY... hate the shape of my belly. I've been hating the crease for years- I'm totally done with it... If possible (really hoping I'm not stuck with it). I'm not even sure if I'm pear shaped or apple shaped or... whatever- I just know I really don't like the dip and the flab!

Any advice on exercises and diets that would eliminate that fat- all over but especially something that will give me a flatter stomach? (I've attached two pictures I took below- hopefully they show!) I'm 5'7", 145lbs, and my BMI is 21-22 I think- Apparently this is all really normal for my age, weight, height, BMI- but I'm pretty sure, based on my experience in riding and barn work (low stamina, low... everything), that most of that is just some squish and bone haha!

46qmbcmw34hq.jpg
sq3zoz3246j9.jpg

Replies

• Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ugh i have "the crease"... so annoying!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I have a B belly too.
    My crease is right on my bellybutton which is also my waist ( I carry most of my excess weight there) . I avoid belts like the plague as they get swallowed in the crease.

You can minimize it, I don't think it ever goes though.

Lower body fat, good posture, and strengthening the upper abs helps.

Start a good weight lifting programme.

Cheers, h.
  • secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    and I thought I was the only one!!!! I always considered it to be 2 stomachs in one, or the B shaped belly! I dont think a flat stomach is in my future no matter how much I lose! really sucks! :'(
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Correcting your posture will work wonders.

Longer term reducing overall bodyfat via a calorie deficit and increasing and strengthening underlying muscle will do the job.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the dreaded B-belly as well. I've been everywhere from a bit underweight to overweight, it is always there. Just the way we are made, I guess. But as others have said, core strength helps in minimizing it. Good luck.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    From what it looks like is you have a strong core (upper abs), but like me store fat below the belly button. Reducing body fat should get rid of it or at least minimize.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Lots of core exercises will really help with this. I used to date a girl who LOVED the V-shape muscles men have at the bottom of their six pack (where the muscles dip beneath the waistline of their pants). I always thought it would be impossible for me (or women in general) to get this look. After an entire summer of biking (which really works your core), I can actually SEE those muscles. Granted they are not as defined or impressive as what men have, but I never thought that I would (in my life) see any of my stomach muscles. While I do not have the "B" shape or crease that some of you have, I do have quite a bit of flab.

The key is going to be losing weight and strengthening those muscles. By losing weight, you have less fat overall and by building your core muscles, they will be more noticeable. While this may not get rid of your crease entirely, it may help you to reduce its definition.
  • monwillhoite
    monwillhoite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really thought my stomach was deformed until today. I was actually googling hernia pictures to figure out why my stomach looks like it does. (don't btw) I hope that if there is some way to get rid of it that someone shares.
  • itskarenbell
    itskarenbell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since I was little I've always had this horizontal crease right at my belly botton (like, my belly's okay, dips in, returns to how it was... or something)- and I'm so sick of this belly. And, in general, being out of shape. I have a pretty physically demanding job, lots of barn work (mostly lifting and the rare case of manic chasing loose horses- nothing that really impacts) and horse riding, so fitness is... kind of not an option at this point! Since riding as become such an integral part of my life and what pays me, I can't be... soft, I guess. ESPECIALLY my core.

I also... REALLY... hate the shape of my belly. I've been hating the crease for years- I'm totally done with it... If possible (really hoping I'm not stuck with it). I'm not even sure if I'm pear shaped or apple shaped or... whatever- I just know I really don't like the dip and the flab!

Any advice on exercises and diets that would eliminate that fat- all over but especially something that will give me a flatter stomach? (I've attached two pictures I took below- hopefully they show!) I'm 5'7", 145lbs, and my BMI is 21-22 I think- Apparently this is all really normal for my age, weight, height, BMI- but I'm pretty sure, based on my experience in riding and barn work (low stamina, low... everything), that most of that is just some squish and bone haha!

46qmbcmw34hq.jpg
    sq3zoz3246j9.jpg

Hey! I have this EXACT same shape. I'm 137lbs and even when I've been lighter it's still there. I'm working on my core and posture at the moment but wondering if you have made any progress since July? Thanks!
  • itskarenbell
    Options

46qmbcmw34hq.jpg
    sq3zoz3246j9.jpg

Hey, one year on have you determined anything that works for you?
  • itskarenbell
    Options
    karenmcmb wrote: »

46qmbcmw34hq.jpg
    sq3zoz3246j9.jpg

Hey! I have this EXACT same shape. I'm 137lbs and even when I've been lighter it's still there. I'm working on my core and posture at the moment but wondering if you have made any progress since July? Thanks!

OP. Hasn't been around in a year.

Oh... First time posting here. Any advice? :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

46qmbcmw34hq.jpg
    sq3zoz3246j9.jpg

OP. Hasn't been around in a year.

Oh... First time posting here. Any advice? :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • squeezywheezy
    squeezywheezy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same B! Thought I was the only one ! So annoying!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The B belly sucks. I hear that wearing jeans most of my life may have contributed to it. No idea if that's true.

No advice just commiseration. Sometimes bodies just don't have the shape we want.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I also have a b-belly.