Is weight loss possible?

Options
I went in for a new driver licence picture. Hadn't realized how big my double chin had gotten. How big my cheeks are. I weighed myself afterwards to find I am 235 lbs. I am 5'0. Something needs to change. I dont know if I am actually going to be able to lose any weight. The only food I can afford is junk and I only have a mivrowave to cook food in. I so desperately need to though. I have a gym membership I never use. I am going to start tomorrow. If you have any tips or encouragement... It would be greatly appreciated. -Jeremiah

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    If you are broke Jack Monroe is the one to turn to https://cookingonabootstrap.com/ She was desperately poor with a 2 year old at one stage. Plus the food is really really nice Also https://www.budgetbytes.com/ is really great for low cost great and well tasting food
  • bella_lizzy
    bella_lizzy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my first thoughts were If you can afford a gym membership you should be able to afford some healthy food? Even if that's not true, not all healthy food is expensive. Frozen vegetables are cheap, eggs and tinned fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, are cheap and good for you. All of these you can cook in the microwave. I mean you can cook meat in the microwave too, it just takes a little practice to get it right. Either way, It's calories in /out. So as long as you are under your calories goal you should be able to lose. Once you reduce your calories you will see weight loss is possible. Exercise also helps. Good luck.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    jmitchmorr wrote: »
    The only food I can afford is junk and I only have a mivrowave to cook food in.

Hi Jeremiah,
    I have some good news for you: you can certainly still lose weight even if you can't afford different food. It is a common misconception that losing weight only happens from eating the "right" foods, or cutting out the "bad" foods. The most important thing for you to understand about weight loss is that is happens because of a calorie deficit. A body loses weight when it is given less energy than it uses (and the reason we put on weight is because we consume more energy than we use).

We burn a lot of calories just from living - even if we were in a coma, we would still burn calories. As long as we consistently eat less than the amount we burn, we will lose weight. Ideally, we would also choose nutrient-rich foods with lots of protein to keep us full; but weight loss can happen even if you just ate whatever cheap food you have access to - as long as you consume less of it.

Good luck with your goals! Remember that it's certainly achievable (check out the "Success Stories" part of the forums for some inspiration.)
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love the opening line. Like an infomercial or the first line in a book.
    If you can only afford junk, then make sure that junk has enough protein to sustain strength training because thats whats gonna help us short folk slim down hahaha
    Weights and resistance help drop the pounds, if you drink soda STOP thats ten lbs right there.
    More water, less *kitten*! Retained water is another ten.
    Even replacing two meals with cereal high in protein and iron help a lot with weight loss, and generic named cereal is pretty cheap.
    If all you can afford is ramen then drink extra water to flush as much of that sodium out as possible?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When you say you can only afford junk food, what exactly do you eat? Because to be honest, I find junk food is more expensive. You can buy "healthy" foods such as meat, veg, rice, plain noodles for very little. It just takes being organised and buying when you see it on offer or in bulk.

Also, it is all just about calories in / calories out, so whatever it is you eat, you just need to eat less of it, or move more to the point where you are using up all those calories. Also, was your gym membership free? If not, cancel it, use the extra money to buy better food and use the great outdoors / free internet exercise videos / body weight exercises to get in the exercise, you don't need a gym to lose weight.

Weight loss is certainly possible for you, read all the stickies on here, dust off your positive attitude and become the best you can be - for free!! And remember, if you are eating less of that junk food, you are spending less money, which you can save up to start eating healthier / buying a small two ring plug in hob to cook a variety of foods on. It's a win / win for your body, mind and pocket!! You can do it, good luck!!
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Omg it changed my swear word to kitten. I love this app
  • jmitchmorr
    jmitchmorr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Somebody bought me 12 months at a local gym as a present. I dont actually pay for that. And the type of "junk" is, cup of noodles, 55 cent yogurt. I was able to get some hot pockets that i shouldnt have bought.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    jmitchmorr wrote: »
    Somebody bought me 12 months at a local gym as a present. I dont actually pay for that. And the type of "junk" is, cup of noodles, 55 cent yogurt. I was able to get some hot pockets that i shouldnt have bought.

Then that's great, make the most of that present and get to that gym!! No excuses! :D Noodles and yoghurt aren't junk. But next time you go shopping. Look around and see what is on offer, I don't know where you live, but if you say, maybe people can give you an idea of where has some good offers on in you area. It will take some effort, planning and Googling for recipes etc, but hey, you're worth it, okay?!