Smoothie Challenge 2017

Options
I have recently incorporated meal prepping into my fitness routine. I find it very helpful when it comes to staying on track with calorie intake. I have been thinking about dedicating the month of January to smoothies. I got a magic bullet for Christmas. So I just wanted some feedback from the MFP community on where and how to start. Thanks in advance for any ideas and comments!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Start by asking yourself what you want to achieve, and whether your plan will help you achieve those goals or not.

Hint: There is nothing magical about smoothies, it's just mashed up food. Can be delicious, can be dreadful.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have smoothies, just be sure to weigh everything you put in there. I am incorporating smoothies that are anywhere from 500-1000 cals (in my case to gain weight) so be mindful, the stuff can add up!
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning after my bike ride. 250ml frozen fruit (1 cup) 1/3 banana, 1/3 strawberries, 1/3 blueberries or raspberries or combo. I top my "magic bullet" up with another cup of milk then protean powder (vanilla or chocolate) and blend. 415 calories and 35g carbs, within the Primal Diet parameters. Hint: add the protean powder last to avoid trying to get it unstuck from the bottom of the mixing mug.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What do you mean like meal replacing all month or? I normally have a smoothie for breakfast but that's just because it's easy
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just smoothies for the month? That sounds awful. Smoothies for breakfast or a snack sounds fine - just weigh and log all your ingredients. Super easy to make a 500+ calorie smoothie.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies and make them a lot in the summer, but like others have said-they can be calorie bombs. Make sure you measure out portion sizes and still keep track of your calorie intake!
  • noresweetz
    noresweetz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. VERY HELPFUL!! :-)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    *bump
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning after my bike ride. 250ml frozen fruit (1 cup) 1/3 banana, 1/3 strawberries, 1/3 blueberries or raspberries or combo. I top my "magic bullet" up with another cup of milk then protean powder (vanilla or chocolate) and blend. 415 calories and 35g carbs, within the Primal Diet parameters. Hint: add the protean powder last to avoid trying to get it unstuck from the bottom of the mixing mug.

I'm sure it's more calories than that as you need to weigh your food NOT use cups

Exactly this! If you are using cups, you have no idea how much you are actually consuming.
  • noresweetz
    noresweetz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lol no just incorporating smoothies more but not only consuming smoothies.