Calories in red grapes from M&S?

Options
Hi everyone. I bought a pack of red grapes from M&S (UK) this morning, but they don't have a nutrition label on them. Does anybody know the calories for these? When I did a search on here the calories really varied and I don't want to guess.

Thank you!

Replies

• timma300
    timma300 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can you weigh them? If you can, do that and use the usda entry for red grapes (Red/green seedless grapes - USDA). If not you can estimate about 5 grams per grape.
  • willsreb
    willsreb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! Yes I will be weighing them, are all grapes the same calories then no matter the brand?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine. When I looked at my log it seems like, in general, 100gms of grapes is about 69 calories. I swap between red and green and they run pretty close to the same.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Scan the barcode - it might bring up a useful entry.
  • timma300
    timma300 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    willsreb wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply! Yes I will be weighing them, are all grapes the same calories then no matter the brand?

Pretty much! As long as you get the correct entry, you're good to go. That applies to most fruits and vegetables - the differences between one market and another is indistinguishable (I mean, they taste the same right? otherwise we'd all be shopping at the tastiest market). Just make sure that if you buy a special type of fruit/veg that may not have the same calories as what you normally log to check for an entry for that first. It's usually a pretty small difference, but to give an example:

Apple, raw, with skin (USDA): 52 kcal/100g
    Apple, raw, gala, with skin (USDA): 57 kcal/100g
    Apple, raw, fuji, with skin (USDA): 63 kcal/100g

Since the average apple is about 150g, if you had a fuji apple and you logged it under the apple entry you would be off by about 16 kcal. But if you couldn't find an entry for your apple, it's probably ok to use the regular apple entry.

As far as your grapes go though, red seedless grapes have an entry so you're good. :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    M&S isn't a brand of grape. Grapes are grapes... There may be some difference in nutrition during different seasons, or picking time/ripeness etc, but it'd be minimal
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Individual variation from one grape to the next is probably greater than the average difference between M&S and Asda, say. It's a natural product. You do what you can to be accurate but in the end you just have to settle for what seems like the closest estimate.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    When there isn't a specific option I'd just put "red grapes" in mfp and choose whichever is the highest cals per 100g (as long as it isnt totally out of whack with the average estimate) to be safe. There'll probably only be 5-10 cals per 100g difference between varieties of grapes.