What to do during horrid weather?

Options
It has been extremely hot and humid here this week. I usually exercise at home as I don't have a gym membership yet. However I have no AC in my apartment. I've been too worried about over exerting myself that I haven't been exercising. This humidity is horrid, the kind you can barely breathe in while just sitting around. Does anyone have suggestions for exercises to do at home in this horrid weather?

Replies

• bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Does your schedule allow you a time to exercise after the sun goes down at night or extremely early in the morning? Picking the coolest time with a fan blowing on you is probably the best. If that isn't workable.. then I would suggest doing more strength training and do a little at a time several times a day instead of all at once... it might not be the same as all at once but 10 minutes is going to be easier to manage in the heat than 45.
  • fujax2005
    fujax2005 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know you asked for exercises at home... but do you have access to a pool (most towns have a public pool) or even a lake (perhaps in a near by state forest). When it is gross outside it may be nice to cool off in some water and get some exercise at the same time. I tend to hike, which is not as pleasant when it is so gross out, but it is usually much cooler in the mountains than in towns/cities.

When it is hot, I try to exercise early in the morning or late in the evening/night, when it is not quite as gross then I take a cold shower to cool off. I still feel gross when I'm doing the exercise, but the cold shower helps cool me down quick.

Good luck!
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I've been walking/jogging (C25K style) in the early mornings when it's still cool, or after the sun goes down. You could also focus on some lighter strength training exercises and stretches that aren't as sweat-inducing (pilates, yoga) for the time being. I've been doing scissor kicks and crunches after I jog and before I shower, since I'm already sweaty!!

Good luck, and STAY HYDRATED :drinker:
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Could you go swimming at the river or lake near your place? I'm not sure where you live, but that's what my family does when it's to humid and too hot to do anything else..drag our butts to the lake..lol :D
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wear as little as possible, have a bottle of water handy, and keep a fan blowing on me.

Today, I got up early so I could run before it got too too hot, and stayed on the shady side of the street. Last night, I took the dog for a walk after the sun went down.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wear as little as possible, have a bottle of water handy, and keep a fan blowing on me.

Today, I got up early so I could run before it got too too hot, and stayed on the shady side of the street. Last night, I took the dog for a walk after the sun went down.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Get a non slip mat for the shower, and do your workout in there with the water running? Haha!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Turn on some music and dance lightly to get cardio--keep a big bottle of ice water on hand, so that if you get too hot, you can cool down. You can always sit down if you get too hot or feel strained. But you don't have to work yourself to death to get more movement in your life. Just take it easy and spend some energy.

Or do some strength training--pushups, situps, squats, and dips cover many of the major muscle groups, and you don't need any equipment to do them. But if you have free weights, even better! Find a strength training routine and work it for no more than about 30 minutes--or, like bgeer said, shorter sessions 2 or 3 times during the day instead of all at once. More muscle burns more calories, so the strength training is really vital!

Again, keep that water on hand to keep you hydrated and cool.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You definitely can overheat yourself working out in high heat/humidity. Try to stick to early morning or late evening workouts, preferable in front of a fan. And if you start to feel overly hot or light-headed. STOP immediately, lie down and drink a big glass of cool water!