What do you like to eat for breakfast?

Options
I'm currently on day one and I hated my breakfast this morning. I had granola with some fruit and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt. I only ate 4 spoonfuls and settled for a banana.

What do you like to eat for breakfast? What should I try? I've tried dieting before but also binged because I had lack of variety. Please help.

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I prioritize protein and fat at breakfast. I eat plenty of carbs but I try to not have carbs be the base of my meal as I will be starving in 2 hours. I make breakfast sandwiches that I freeze. Sautee various vegetables (peppers, onions, spinach etc.), scramble one egg per sandwich you're making, mix together on a backing sheet. Bake until eggs are set. Assemble sandwhich: 1 everything bagel thin, one square of egg, one GV turkey sausage, one slice cheddar cheese. Stuffed on 399 calories. I am in maintenance though so I may be working with a few extra calories. I am also experimenting with IF currently so I don't eat this until almost 10am or so.

When I cooked at home for breakfast I would cook 2 overeasy eggs in cooking spray and have them on 2 slices of multigrain toast with slices of tomato. This also kept me satisfied for hours but I would have to eat it at 6am so I was starving by 10.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I eat a bagel...or half a bagel, depending how hungry I am.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do a pretty mean omelet. Breakfast is my thing; I'd rather skip dinner. So I make an omelet of a TON of vegetables (like broccoli, spinach, mushrooms), one and a half eggs (one egg, one egg white), and a slice of swiss. It's a lot of food for not a lot of calories (I think it's like 250).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I don't eat in the morning but really you can eat anything as long as it fits in your daily calorie targets (pre-planning your food for the day is a great way to figure this out). Get away from thinking you have to eat 'breakfast' foods and have a sandwich, veggies (with scrambled eggs and salsa is lovely!), leftovers, soup etc etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat nothing, but when I do have it I always have either eggs (on toast, with beans or scrambled with turkey sausage) or buckwheat flax pancakes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What we like isn't the question, the question is what you like, as that's what you need to work with to be happy. Why didn't you care for your breakfast this morning?

For me, I mostly like savory and hot breakfasts and I don't like cold cereal at all (I do like oatmeal, usually more in a savory preparation). I also find I do better with something with a decent amount of protein and I have a preference for including vegetables in all meals. So sometimes (if time crunched) I just have leftovers from dinner, usually meat/fish and vegetables, sometimes something like beans & rice plus veg. More often I have something egg-based -- like a vegetable omelet or, lately, roasted veg with some overeasy eggs and cottage cheese on the side. I aim for about 350 calories at breakfast, although it varies.

In the summer I was in a cold breakfast kick and wanted fresh fruit, so I did a lot of smoothies with greek yogurt, some protein powder, fruit, and various vegetables -- enjoyed playing with different combinations.
  • tdebilmac
    tdebilmac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with LemurCat12 - eat what you like and what you know will "work" for you. I'll eat anything from a bowl of grains (chia, flax, oats, shredded wheat, banana, nut milk), a smoothie or even leftovers from the night before because sometimes breakfast food is boring.

Eat what gives you NRG!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like mug tofu scramble...just tofu, seasoning and bell peppers and salsa. Keeps me full
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Fullgrain-bread, cottage-cheese, sliced roastbeef, tomatoes and cucumbers ~ 450 kcal
  • letme1
    letme1 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What I Like to eat is Biscuits and Gravy,, but those days are over, lol. :)
  • baileyjohnston2016
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. If you'd still like to comment, that's cool. I'll take everyone's advice and suggestions (they sound yummy!) and I'll also see what works best for me. :smile:
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I rotate between bacon, sausage and ham with an occasional pork chop or piece of leftover steak instead. Tomatoes are included when in season and they have flavor.
    ny50ock5tr61.png
  • JoyceMoul
    JoyceMoul Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts vary from a Pure Protein Plus bar at 180 calories plus a Dannon Light and Fit blueberry Greek yogurt with a few fresh blueberries, to a breakfast of one whole and 3 egg whites beaten and fried in a pan sprayed with olive oil. I stuff that with an ounce of fat free feta cheese and steamed spinach or sometimes the stuffing is a little low fat Mexican cheese, black or green olives and some Siracha. Sometimes I have a piece of 40 calorie whole wheat bread with it. This is a huge breakfast. I stopped drinking oj as the calories were not worth it. I eat an orange if I want vit C at breakfast. For the past week I am vowing to get 2 servings of vegetables at EVERY meal so this morning I had one egg on 40 calorie whole wheat bread toasted, stir fried pepper strips and onions, fresh spinach steamed with a little white sweet balsamic vinegar. I also added a cup of fresh blueberries and a Dannon 80 calorie Greek yogurt plus black coffee. All of my frying is done in a non stick pan with generic spray olive oil. I have 1 pound 4 oz to go to my goal weight. I have been eating mindfully since March 4th and have lost around 65 pounds or so.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make a roasted vegetable and egg casserole. I top that with some kimchi, shredded chicken and salsa. I eat that pretty much every day.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I get bored of eating the same things so change it a lot but at the moment I'm really in to 'breakfast trifles'; I pour some granola in to the bottom or a glass, add some chopped fruit or berries, drizzle with honey and top with a layer of greek yoghurt. It tastes good and I can make it the night before to save time in the morning.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Today I had time and made 2 pieces of french toast with homemade bread, one egg, some milk.

Usually, if I am measuring food, I do a kashi bar and a latte with one cup of 2% milk and 2t of sugar because that is more quantifyable.

If you are trying to make granola better and healthier, we love love love making museli.

Mix:
    One box of granola
    One box of rolled oats (5 minute oatmeal, not instant)
    Nuts and dry fruit of your choice.
    This should end up more oats than granola but not by much, that cuts the fat and sugar in the granola but also makes it taste better.

Serve with yogurt and milk, skim milk is fine in this, the nuts have healthy fat.

It's quite filling.

If you need food food, food that feels like food for breakfast, eggs and toast, or an omelette with spinach or other vegetables.
  • anniecorda484
    anniecorda484 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    one scrambled egg with one onz of water and pepper im boring and then later a protein shake.
  • lizzymay1990
    lizzymay1990 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I alternate between these breakies.

--- Porridge with berries
    --- 2 boiled eggs with 1 piece of grain toast
    --- 1 piece of grain toast with avacado, 1 piece sliced chicken breast
    ---Homemade smoothie: strawberries, 1 banana, soy milk, 1 tbs of coconut yogurt
    ---2 pieces of toast with a side of fruit.
    --- poached or fried egg with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and onion

My favourite and the most filling is the toast with avacado and chicken. I also might have a nice piece of fruit with it and a coffee. I allow myself more calories at breakfast so I have more energy.
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually have a diet Greek yogurt or a protein shake I prefer chocolate premier protein shakes because of all that protein and only 1g of sugar.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love a slice of Ezekiel (sprouted grain) bread with a tablespoon of almond butter, once in a while I will add some honey. Very yummy!