Eggs

Options
I absolutely love eggs and breakfast in general. I know egg whites are healthier but I feel like I'm wasteful if I throw away the yolk and prepackaged egg whites are pricy and seem like they'd be overprocessed. What do you guys do about this? Also if you have any healthy breakfast ideas I'd love to hear them!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I disagree that the whites are healthier. They have fewer calories and less fat, but that doesn't make them healthier, and there are nutrients in the yolks. I eat the yolks because of that, and besides they taste good and IMO it would be wasteful not to. If I were going to toss more than half the calories in the egg I personally (no comment on anyone else) couldn't ethically buy eggs. (I would probably buy those cartons of egg whites, as the yolks removed are used for something.)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg too but...I really don't think cartons of egg whites are *that* processed. Egg substitutes are but egg whites are just that. Egg whites.
  • machete66
    machete66 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    love egg whites instead of 70 calories per egg drops to 17 which allows me to eat more but that's just me
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Could you save the yolks and use them in baking or sauces?
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. Packed with protein, economical, low calorie per serving and good for you.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing. Just count it in your calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Egg whites aren't necessarily healthier. They are lower calorie, but the only nutrition they provide is protein. The yolk provides the micronutrients.

I will occasionally order an egg white frittata when eating breakfast in a restaurant but at home I always eat the whole egg. Even though we always have more eggs than we can eat I still don't like to waste.
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    whole egg! definitely! such a waste to throw away the yolks it has so much stuff in it that's good for you! it is not all about eating a lot with less calories but also about eating the right things.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I ate 5 whole eggs this morning...HDL ftw!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the whole egg!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Eggs aren't healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kdtodd1124 wrote: »
    I absolutely love eggs and breakfast in general. I know egg whites are healthier but I feel like I'm wasteful if I throw away the yolk and prepackaged egg whites are pricy and seem like they'd be overprocessed. What do you guys do about this? Also if you have any healthy breakfast ideas I'd love to hear them!

Actually, most of the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk. I only use whites to bulk up my omelettes for fewer calories.

Also, cartons of egg whites are just egg whites...they aren't overly processed...they're just egg whites in a carton and have been pasteurized. Maybe you're thinking of egg substitutes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Eggs aren't healthy.

That's true if you have an allergy or intolerance.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg - more nutritional bang for the buck, literally & figuratively. When I was baking a white cake from scratch, I had to use only the whites, and wondered what I would do with the yolks because I didn't want to waste them. You can look up how to freeze them properly for use later; I think it was basically add a little salt, scramble, & freeze in a plastic bag, but it's been a few years and I might be wrong. Besides, if you aren't eating yolks, what you you personally possibly use them for? I ended up buying some of the egg white cartons and mixing those in with a little bit of the saved yolks to essentially get back to a whole egg.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Eggs aren't healthy.

Actually, they're quite nutritious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I eat the whole egg - more nutritional bang for the buck, literally & figuratively. When I was baking a white cake from scratch, I had to use only the whites, and wondered what I would do with the yolks because I didn't want to waste them. You can look up how to freeze them properly for use later; I think it was basically add a little salt, scramble, & freeze in a plastic bag, but it's been a few years and I might be wrong. Besides, if you aren't eating yolks, what you you personally possibly use them for? I ended up buying some of the egg white cartons and mixing those in with a little bit of the saved yolks to essentially get back to a whole egg.

You could probably just freeze them as is. Eggs freeze really well raw in the shell. During winter most of the eggs I eat will have been frozen because they freeze in the coop before I gather them up.