How much protein?

Options
Getting some very comforting research regarding how much protein I should I eat to lose weight and build muscle. Ranges from 45g - 150g. That a big difference! Be interested to know how much other people consume, or whether it even matters as long as stay within calories

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It matters for building muscle. What weight lifting program are you following?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It matters for building muscle or maintaining muscle in a deficit (so does doing strength training or related exercises, of course).

The best sources I've seen indicate that .65-.85 g/lb of healthy goal weight (use your weight if in a healthly BMI, but no need if you have a lot to lose, although you don't look like you do) is plenty. Because it's harder for women to build muscle and people tend to lose muscle as they age, I aim for .8 g/lb (same caveat) personally.

Here's a good rundown with some links: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/

Also: https://www.completehumanperformance.com/dieting-protein-needs/
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1 - 1.5 grams per KG of body weight is a reasonable starting point. If you're lifting intensely or dieting at extreme deficits, maybe 1.8-2.0 grams per KG. That's on the high side of things.

If you know your lean mass weight, 2 grams per KG of lean mass is a great rule of thumb.

I always err on the side of more protein, especially if you eat a lot of plant based proteins (like Soy, which is absorbed/used far less than, say, whey or chicken)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The best sources I've seen indicate that .65-.85 g/lb of healthy goal weight (use your weight if in a healthly BMI, but no need if you have a lot to lose, although you don't look like you do) is plenty.

This.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Around 0.8g per pound of bodyweight for me. Or at least 100g per day
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Currently macros are set at 110g a day, but I struggle to meet it without consuming too much fat and calories
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100 g but am often around 110. Tricks are:

(1) Include it in every meal. If if have a low protein meal (often breakfast or lunch depending on how you eat), it's hard to make up. If you snack, include it in snacks (even just nuts or greek yogurt, cottage cheese, a hard boiled egg, lots of options).

(2) Low fat dairy is a good source and pretty easy to fit in.

(3) If you aren't a vegetarian, lean meat/fish -- seafood in general is a great source. Think of increasing portion a bit and decreasing the portion of starchy sides or whatever fatty is added to make room if it's hard. Small adjustments made a difference.

(4) If you are vegetarian or even if you are not, legumes are great (including tofu, tempeh, edamame), and don't forget that you get additional protein from things like whole grains, and lots of vegetables.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I generally aim for 120g or so per day, some days as high as 160g, some as low as 100g. I'm 34 and 192lbs, I'm doing weightlifting at home every second day at least, as I am lucky enough to have access to an olympic bar and plates. I'm also breastfeeding a baby so figure a decent amount of protein can't be a bad thing. Mine mostly comes from meat and eggs, and I don't bother to hunt for lean sources as I'm not scared of fat. My fat grams generally come in at 70-100g a day.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Currently macros are set at 110g a day, but I struggle to meet it without consuming too much fat and calories

more lean meats. protein shakes to fill the spots in here and there.

keep in mind, some vegan sources, like soy, you only really "get" about 60g of protein for every 100g of soy protein you eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Try pre-logging to see what fits
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,156 Member
    Options
    As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, based on a 120-pound body weight, I strive for at least 100g protein daily, and usually exceed it (on around 1800 net calories).

During weight loss, I tried for .6-.8g minimum per pound of goal weight, toward the higher end of that range as much as possible. For reference, I'm old (61) and quite active (rowing, spin, weights, biking, a bit of swim, etc.).

You got some great tips above. One I'd add: Review your diary, looking for foods that contribute relatively larger calories, but don't give you the nutrition commensurate with their calorie "cost". Reduce or eliminate those, replacing them with other foods you enjoy that better contribute to your goals. Over time, that will evolve your eating in a better direction while still emphasizing tastiness & satisfaction (however you personally define them).

If you're trying to increase protein, take a critical look at what you're eating that doesn't have much. Plug in other foods that have at least a bit of protein in those roles. Yes, vegetable-source protein may be less well-absorbed, but it's still worth eating. A few grams here and there can really add up through the day.

What are some examples: Use blender-ed white beans to thicken "creamy" soups. Make your own salad dressing by putting herbs/spices in plain Greek yogurt. Reduce the oil in salad dressing (and croutons if you use them), instead putting a tablespoon or two of seeds or nuts on your salad. Prefer veggies that have a little protein (broccoli, spinach, more) to those with none. Prefer grains/carbs with more protein (quinoa, buckwheat) to those with less. Eat snacks with protein in them (crispy chickpeas, dry-roasted soybeans, string cheese, etc.)

This thread (link below) is a really great one. It links to a spreadsheet that lists foods by their protein efficiency - basically most protein for the fewest calories. It's a long list, if you scroll down, including lots of veggies & such. Find things you like on the list, eat more of them.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...