Green tea for weight lost

Options
Green tea really helps on weight lost?

Replies

• VanessaLins90
    VanessaLins90 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I only need to lose 15 pounds, im
    Exercising 5 times a week and i change my diet. But whatever helps for faster results, ill take it :)
  • Hemo0
    Hemo0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercising 5 times a week will do it for you..green tea or not :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No. Not unless you're replacing a drink with Calories - such as juice, milk, or non-diet soda - with green tea. And in that case, possibly not if you're adding sugar/honey to it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Green tea in itself doesn't do anything to help you lose weight, except maybe fill your stomach with fluid to reduce hunger pangs. But you could do the same thing with water and have the same effect.

You lose weight by maintaining a caloric deficit. If all it took was drinking green tea everyone would be slender and fit.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to curb my appetite when I drink green tea. Also, it helps with elimination and the digestive system. All good things! However, exercise /diet is key to weight loss . Drinking the tea can't hurt 3-4 cups a day. I personally enjoy it but I wouldn't rely on that alone for weight loss.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It may not do much but I like green tea, and so it is my breakfast tea. No calories and I have tea anyways. It's the calorie counting and exercise that leads to weightloss.
  • xarte
    xarte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find it an effective appetite suppressant. I take the pills because I don't like the taste.
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, I use it to curb my appetite if it isn't quite lunchtime etc. It's lovely on a cold day :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    OP, Fast isn't good. YOu should be losing like 0.5 lbs a week
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I drink tea throughout my day b/c its a 0 calorie beverage that is hydrating. I do drink green tea in the morning with my breakfast but that's bc it's my caffeine hit for the day. I sometimes replace that with a black tea if I'm out of green tea. It hasn't helped me lose weight at all. The calorie deficit that I maintained did.
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i used to be a green tea fan and would go through cups of it during the day, this was many years ago.i remember losing quite a bit of weight, i dont know whether that was because i was in a calorie defecit or the green tea helped rev my metabolism up but now it really has no effect on my body. i dont think teas help in any way. some people tell me maybe i need to switch to oolong tea as my bodys now used to the milder green tea but really i think im okay i will live. besides i only have 12lbs to lose which is achievable throught diet and exercise alone.
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Green tea is one of the most studied weight management products, its tied to the specific amount of EGCG and caffeine content though.

But even Health Canada's department that regulates health claims allows a weight management claim for green tea based on the variety of clinical data available. Obviously negative calorie is still required but there is more than enough evidence to support its use does assist in weight management (Government doesn't list the thousands of diet ingredients out there but Green Tea and CLA do have a lot of clinical studies that the government found to be concrete enough to allow its claim to assist in a weight management program, people will argue yes but it says with low calorie and exercise anything will work, true enough but these are proven to assist beyond taking a comparable product):

The official claim the government permits as well as the studies being referenced is as follows:

To be used with a program of reduced intake of dietary calories and increased physical activity (if possible) to help in weight management (Nagao et al. 2005; Westerterp-Plantenga et al. 2005; Chantre and Lairon 2002; Dulloo et al. 1999)

If you are curious here is the link:

http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn/atReq.do?atid=greentea_thevert&lang=eng

and some of the related studies:
    • Dulloo AG, Duret C, Rohrer D, Girardier L, Mensi N, Fathi M, Chantre P, Vandermander J. Efficacy of a green tea extract rich in catechin polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1999;70(6):1040-1045.
    • Nagao T, Komine Y, Soga S, Meguro S, Hase T, Tanaka Y, Tokimitsu I. Ingestion of a tea rich in catechins leads to a reduction in body fat and malondialdehyde-modified LDL in men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005;81(1):122-129.
    • Westerterp-Plantenga MS, Lejeune MP, Kovacs EM. Body weight loss and weight maintenance in relation to habitual caffeine intake and green tea supplementation. Obesity Research 2005;13(7):1195-1204.
    • Chantre P, Lairon D. Recent findings of green tea extract AR25 (Exolise) and its activity for the treatment of obesity. Phytomedicine 2002;9(1):3-8.