Help with calories

Options
caroldownie58
caroldownie58 Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Last week I logged my weight as having gained 6lbs at Christmas. My calorie intake remained the same. Today I logged that I had lost 5lbs and my calorie intake increased by 40 a day. Can any one tell me why that is please xx

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You probably had a fluctuation up at Christmas and now it has dropped back down. You've probably read that "weight loss is not linear".. That means it doesn't go down in a straight line. Fluctuations are completely normal. Data points only on Christmas and today, 25 days later, do not give an accurate picture. I prefer to weigh every day, track my fluctuations in Happy Scale app, and log each new low in MFP. This way I always know & understand what is happening and I know to snticipate fluctuations.
    I don't know what you mean by eating the same and eating 40 over. Compared to what? Your deficit goal or maintenance or what? For how long? One day or 25 days?
  • caroldownie58
    Options
    Hi sorry wasn't clear earlier. when I gained the weight my calorie intake for each day stayed the same, but when I logged my weight loss today my daily calorie intake was increased by a further 30 a day. Therefore allowing me more calories over the week despite being lighter
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    She means that MFP adjusted her target calories automatically.

It sounds to me like it didn't adjust for your 6 lb gain (which it won't always do automatically), and then when you lost 5 lbs, it adjusted to match the 1 lb you're still over where you started. Does that make sense?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you logged one in goals and one in check-in? Goals/start weight would change your calorie count, check-in doesn't.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Could be due to TOM/hormones, stress, sodium, muscle fatigue, temporary change in your macros, lack of sleep...
    Last week I logged my weight as having gained 6lbs at Christmas. My calorie intake remained the same. Today I logged that I had lost 5lbs and my calorie intake increased by 40 a day. Can any one tell me why that is please xx

• caroldownie58
    Options
    I put both increase and loss in goals. Not sure how it's happened xx
  • caroldownie58
    Options
    Thank you yes does make sense. X
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still making progress towards your goals, I would keep the calorie level the same. I only make adjustments when I hit a plateau. I would also suggest that if you can eat more and still be losing ~1-2 lbs/week, then do that. It'll help keep your metabolism up as you diet down.