What's your fitness/diet "staple"???

Options
Hey guys! I'm Dee. I'm not new to MFP, but I've been away from it for WAYYYYY too long! It's long overdue for me to get back on track and take care of myself. I have about 50 pounds to lose to reach the high end of my IBW, but I'd be happy with losing ANY weight. Anywho, I'll be 33 in 2 days and I'm married with 3 children, I work full-time as a nurse, and I'm back in school. I don't have gym equipment at home, but the last time I lost with MFP, I was in a very good habit of walking every day or going to the gym at my work (which is FREE!). I have a fitbit and still use it daily. I'm just wondering what you all consider a "staple" in your everyday diet?? What's the one thing you can't go without??? Also, has anyone logged their food on Fitbit?? I tried it but found the database wasn't as large and exact as MFP. Thanks in advance, and best wishes on your fitness journeys!!!!

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My phone. Okay, technically I could do everything I do with pen and paper, but all my apps are so dang convenient. I've got MFP to track my food. Garmin connect to track my steps and cardio. A C25K app to get better at running. The Stronglifts app to track and advise my lifting. The Fitbit app for my connected scale. I also use the USDA website to look up food and Trendweight to map my weight loss trends. Am I missing anything? You could even throw in Spotify to make my running playlist less boring. Can't imagine keeping all this organized without my phone.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance but the key for me to maintaining my goal weight is being active - I aim for minimum of 12k steps a day and incorporate strength training with cardio.

I no longer log food but whilst losing, it really did pay off logging meticulously every single thing I ate and using food scales.

The rule of thumb is log your food on MFP and your exercise on Fitbit.

All the best :smile:
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Diet staple: boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Fitness staple: Fit bit Charge HR

Good luck to you!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Diet staples: oatmeal, low sugar (health problem), leafy greens.

Exercise every day.

Welcome and best wishes. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Variety :D
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Diet staple: crunchy sriracha kale chips. My go to snack
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 50lbs and I'm approaching 4 years of maintenance. I haven't really used any special equipment but I love my food scale and still use it daily :)
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WATER.. i cant live without it. and it helps you flush all the toxins out.. i drink lots of it !
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    water, green tea, greek nonfat yogurt, skinless chicken breast, greens! To name a few... :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Coffee, protein bars, popcorn, yogurt, Zumba
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    my phone: myfitness pal app to keep track of food, FitNotes app to keep track of my strength training weights and reps. Food: boneless skinless chicken breast, greek yogart, low sugar instant oatmeal, hard boiled egg whites, oven roasted green beans. And all of my cardio DVD's as I only have time to do strength training at the gym so I do cardio at home on opposite days as the gym days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    High fiber and exercise are the things I focus on most. And not eating too much fat.
  • deekhenry
    deekhenry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! A lot of that is what I had planned, but some new ideas too! @jennybearlv that's a LOT of apps
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Diet staple: granola / oatmeal bars. Basically my lunch every day, while dinner is often a lean protein of some kind.
    Fitness staple: hiking and snowshoeing on weekends, walking on weekdays instead of a lunch break (hence the oatmeal bars at my desk).
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    deekhenry wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! A lot of that is what I had planned, but some new ideas too! @jennybearlv that's a LOT of apps

LOL, right? I didn't even realize how many apps I use until I made that list. I recommend accumulating apps gradually.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Food: protein bars, baby carrots, boiled eggs. I eat a variety of food, but when life gets busy, it's good to have quick snacks on hand.
    Fitness: a thick yoga mat (weight loss=less padding) and my FitBit Charge HR (it's hard to be inactive while wearing a tracker)
    Definitely log food with MFP and exercise with FitBit
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Dar_Line86 wrote: »
    Diet staple: crunchy sriracha kale chips. My go to snack

I haven't tried that flavor yet, but I love the rosemary truffle ones.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you can link your mfp to your fitbit log here itll show up there.
    I dont really have a staple but am really into WW bread because i get 2 sandwiches for the calories of one