PW: Okay, newbie stupid question time. :)

Options
Little info if needed:
35F
SW; 257
CW; 223
GW; 190 for first goal.

obviously wanting to lose weight. happy to say I am a gym member, where I have been working out 3-5 days a week since october. My routines mainly consist of cardio, and the weight machines. (im scared of free weights for now, dont judge haha.)

I will make myself a protein shake before my 330am workouts, as I need fuel, but don't want a heavy stomach.

Creatine. My boyfriend has a jar of it, and I was wondering, should I be adding that to my drink in the AM, or is that mostly for the heavy weight lifting, building mass time?

Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein before a normal workout. Carbs give energy, like a cup of juice.

After your workout, a normal, balanced meal is fine. No need for shakes unless you enjoy them.

Creatine isn't appropriate for your goals.

If you've ever lifted a heavy box, luggage, or appliance, you've lifted freeweights. Now you just need to learn how to do it systematically to get the most benefits. The more you learn, the less scary it gets. Try the book NROL4W, or the program in my profile. :+1:
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I actually do like the shake in the morning. :) Don't always consume one, but I'm not drinking them because I feel it's the "thing to do" when working out.

I didn't think that the creatine would be beneficial to me, but I wanted to ask some folks that have been at this a while(And aren't trainers trying to sell me every supplement out there, lol)

Thanks for the advice. I dunno what I am so scared about, haha. Looking stupid, doing something wrong? I'll check those things out. Thank you! :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Creatine is one of the very, very, very few legit supplements out there and there's plenty of research documenting its effectiveness. It certainly wouldn't hurt you, but IMO it's not necessary or even particularly helpful toward your goals at this time.

Nothing wrong with the protein shakes - if they sit well in your stomach and you feel like they give you energy for your workouts, go ahead and drink them. Adequate protein intake helps with muscle retention while losing fat. Just make sure you're accounting for the calories in your daily totals.