Favorite Crock Pot Meals?

Options
aliciamariej1
aliciamariej1 Posts: 12 Member
Just got a new one for Christmas I'd like to break in :)

Replies

• MissBeeGonz
    MissBeeGonz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make this turkey chili it's the biggest loser recipe it's really good and healthy!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
  • lynnpertle
    lynnpertle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are lots of website, but I like allrecipes.com . You can find healthier slow cooker recipes. I have found a lot. I just bought the skinnytaste book and have not tried anything as of yet.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm making beef stew tonight in the Crock Pot. It's a little bit of a pain because you have to flour and brown the beef first, but it turns out great.

I also use it to make a big batch of shredded chicken for various Mexican dishes. Fit as many boneless chicken breasts as you can shove in there, dump a cup of salsa on top, turn on, and stir once in a while until it breaks down. Then I use what I need for that night's dinner and freeze the rest.

Last thing, it's the easiest way ever to cook dried beans. Cheaper and less sodium, if you're watching that sort of thing.

I resisted getting and using the liners for a long time, but it sure is nice to not have to scrub the pot. :)
  • jazzyspender
    jazzyspender Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »

@lucys1225 This looks so good!!

@MissBeeGonz - can you please share your chili recipe, sounds perfect for a winter night!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

@lucys1225 This looks so good!!

@MissBeeGonz - can you please share your chili recipe, sounds perfect for a winter night!

I've made so many crockpot meals from skinnytaste.com and all have been great.
  • mdleastbeast
    mdleastbeast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use my crock pot for meal prep. I'll add chicken breast, red potatoes and green beans. Light olive oil, oregano, and just enough water to barely cover the chicken. Cook on high for 5 hours. When it's done it pulls nicely like shredded chicken. You could use chicken stock but I try to stay away from the extra sodium.. when it's done I plate it and top it off with salsa
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I don't even make any other beef stews. This is the only one my family loves - don't skip making the aji picante!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like to slow cook chicken until it shreds easily for tacos, sandwiches or salad. Slow cook it in salt, pepper, water, and lime juice. It takes about 4-6 hours on low.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like to slow cook chicken until it shreds easily for tacos, sandwiches or salad. Slow cook it in salt, pepper, water, and lime juice. It takes about 4-6 hours on low.

I do that with a pork roast for carnitas! MMMM! Good idea for chicken too.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    O I LOVE my crock pot. Campbells makes some slow cooker sauces that are super. My favorite is the Buffalo Chicken and the Beef Stew.

https://www.campbells.com/sauces/slow-cooker-sauces/
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options

I don't even make any other beef stews. This is the only one my family loves - don't skip making the aji picante!

Interesting but I don't have any beer in the house (we don't drink much beer) so what is good to substitute?
  • Natzmom
    Natzmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go to Pinterest and enter "low fat crock pot recipes". Oodles and scads of recipes! :smile:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Interesting but I don't have any beer in the house (we don't drink much beer) so what is good to substitute?
    I typically go buy one single small beer just for this. I like the flavor - you can just add more broth, but you won't have the same depth.
  • Momtok9
    Momtok9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love this one.. boneless chicken breast, package of taco seasoning, and a jar of any kind of salsa. Cook till chicken is done and shred.. great for burritos or my husband loves it over rice.. can add sour cream when shredding chicken.. hope you try this. This was in WW YEARS AGO
  • kmidash
    kmidash Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hands down one of my fav
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-bolognese-sauce/

Can freeze leftovers for an even easier meal! Good luck & enjoy "crocking"!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Added a new one to the list today: "Salsa Beef Stew."

There's a bunch of online recipes and youtube videos for this dish.

I had menu-planned for this one - I had made hummus and salsa on weekend for the football playoffs games. Deliberately had more than 4 cups leftover of the medium-spicy salsa for today.

Hand-trimmed into 1inch cubes over 3lb beef chuck roast (got rid of a lot of fat and connective stuff); chopped 2lbs carrots; added the salsa; 8oz can of additional no-salt tomato sauce for more liquid (the salsa had a food-processor minced veggies consistency); few drops of low-sodium soy sauce; 1tsp brown sugar; some minced garlic. 6-8 hours on high until the meat is fall-apart tender. MFP recipe builder tells me about 270 cals/serving, 9g fat, 40g protein.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Pork roast and sauerkrout.
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I made this three bean chili that I had with tortillas or barley. I can't remember where I got it from, but I think it turned out really nice.

2 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion (ca 150g)
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 red pepper
    425g kidney beans
    425g chickpeas
    425g black beans
    425g sweet potato
    425g tinned tomatoes
    2.5 cups beef stock
    2 tsp oregano
    1.5 tsp chili flakes
    1.5 tsp cumin
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    0.5 tsp sea salt
    400g frozen sweetcorn

Add everything but sweetcorn to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, then add the sweetcorn and wait until they've warmed to serve.

Made 6 quite big portions for me, each portion around 405 kcal, but you could probably make it 7 or 8 portions if you had more sides.