New to the Gym Scene

Options
I'm 5'4", 295#. I've joined a gym once about 10 years ago and only used the treadmill and tanning. I now work right across the street from a gym and really would like to try it again, minus the treadmill if possible. I have zero knowledge of machines or weights.. I have plenty of space near my house to walk/run but it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home so I'll be using my lunch break to get in some gym time. Super Ultra Beginner Gym workout suggestions?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Walking, elliptical or any other cardio that you enjoy. Try doing it daily for 15 minutes at an easy pace, and increase the duration & intensity whenever you can.

Regarding strength training, see this post:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38430838/#Comment_38430838
    :+1:

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    They gym may have someone who can walk you through the machines when you sign up. I prefer weight lifting to help maintain muscle mass but I've started getting more serious about running lately too. Congratulations on making this decision and good luck! Also, check out that link above...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Group classes are fun...
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love spin classes. I love that you can hide in the back and just ride if you want, ignoring the teacher telling you to add tension. And I love being able to add tension and seeing real progress. I lost over 60 lbs in spin class (and eating healthy). Good luck. I hope you learn to love the gym and see it as your second home.