Half Marathon!!

2»

Replies

• smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    June is more than enough of you can run a 5km you need to build up your mileage , try look at Run Keeper app they have good free training plans , you likely will need to be running 4/5 times a week including the all important long run, doesn't need to be 20km just start with 8km next week 10km next 11km etc etc gives your body time to build up and be used to the distance.
    I went from c25k to half marathon on 10 weeks training but went running 5 days a week 2 5kms 2 8-10km and one long run , wasn't following a plan per say which now from a few races have learnt my mistake.
    Running a race gives a crazy nervous buzz it's amazing it's the training that's exhausting and can be monotonous so look at different routes to do maybe few months in try farklets, splits etc helps with your speed and keeps that 5km run from being dull as anything .
    Long amount of training you might get sick, exhausting, hurt, lose motivation don't beat yourself up if you need an extra day to recover or need a rest day but stick to a plan , oh and for the love of god practice your pre race breakfast and what you will eat/drink during the race trust me nobody wants a sudden shock to your stomach half way through a race. Keep hydrated , don't need to have gels for long runs but can help I love having gummy bears as an extra boost or naked bar but everyone is different.

You can add in cross training like swimming, biking maybe weights
    Yoga for Runner's is really good especially on those calves.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Weather isn't bad your clothes are , training for a marathon once again in Swedish winter, layers, waterproofs , proper shoes , thermals , gloves , hats ,good socks and spikes exist for a reason... get out and run. No need for silly excuses. Some of us have to get out in -15
    The weather in Scotland is terrible ATM to run outside

You're in Glasgow, the weather is better than it is here in the South of England, at the moment...

As far as nutrition is concerned, personally I wouldn't worry too much for a half marathon, but if you do need something on the move you can either get chews or gels. I've used both, and find either effective.

The main thing is to be adequately fueled before going out; porridge & banana or something like that.

• katelaurel390
    katelaurel390 Posts: 88 Member
    Five months should be fine. Try the Hal Higdon plans, or Runners World.

I've followed Hal Higdon's plans for all of my races! I've ran 2 full marathons and 3 half marathons. His schedules are so helpful..definitely recommend trying it out!

The minimum training time is 3 months, so 5 months should be plenty of time. I'm signed up for one at the end of April. Happy running!!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Wow! I like all these ideas I think I might jump in. There's a half in my town in August. If I sign up now that way I will be compelled to train. Thanks op and happy running!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    A few years ago I could only run 3k at this time of year and I ran a half in June (my first one). I used couch to 5k, bridge to 10k then a half marathon training plan, and am doing the same this year. You can do it! There were so many encouraging people it was really amazing. Super fun experience and you'll feel very accomplished!
  • CaSp20
    CaSp20 Posts: 8 Member
    Weather isn't bad your clothes are , training for a marathon once again in Swedish winter, layers, waterproofs , proper shoes , thermals , gloves , hats ,good socks and spikes exist for a reason... get out and run. No need for silly excuses. Some of us have to get out in -15
    The weather in Scotland is terrible ATM to run outside

You're in Glasgow, the weather is better than it is here in the South of England, at the moment...

As far as nutrition is concerned, personally I wouldn't worry too much for a half marathon, but if you do need something on the move you can either get chews or gels. I've used both, and find either effective.

The main thing is to be adequately fueled before going out; porridge & banana or something like that.

I agree, it's -7 C here in Germany and snow and ice on the trails in the woods where I run. It's not too cold at all when running with 4 layers on top and two layers on the bottom, plus neck warmer and ear bands and gloves (which I always get hot and take off fifteen minutes in). Just make sure the top layer is breatheable or you'll be drenched and frozen from your own sweat by the time you get home (I speak from experience ❄️). Good luck to you! I'm also training for my first one in Feb and another in April.