Sweet after savoury meal?

Options
Anybody else have to have something sweet even though you are physically stuffed after say a vegetable meal? Its my biggest problem in controlling calories, my mouth goes bonkers for sweet and it ends up doubling my calories.

I've just had some veg, and i was stuffed from it, but i have just eaten 4 chocolate biscuits at almost 350 calories after to get rid of this mouth hunger after. Its mainly veg (carrots, broccoli, peas, etc) that causes it, as pizza, chips or a sandwich does not. But i want the veg as i like them , they are low calorie, but its getting silly now.

I don't know what to do to control it, a diet drink does not work, infact they make it 10x worse and i go on a mega i must eat sweet if i have anything with artificial sweeteners in (and they taste vile).

Am i the only one with this problem?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by vegetable meal? Only vegetables is not a real meal, you need to balance it with some protein (meat, fish, eggs) some fat (oil, butter, fatty meat/fish), starch (grains or potatoes), maybe some dairy (milk) or nuts/seeds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by vegetable meal? Only vegetables is not a real meal, you need to balance it with some protein (meat, fish, eggs) some fat (oil, butter, fatty meat/fish), starch (grains or potatoes), maybe some dairy (milk) or nuts/seeds.

@quackers82 if you're still not satisfied after including some protein, fat, and starchy veggies in your meal, also add some fruit - I often have tangerines or part of an apple with lunch, and I like a little pineapple or pummelo with Asian dishes.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I always need something sweet after dinner but it doesn't have to be huge. Two ginger candies from Trader Joe's for 40 calories does the trick.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Veg is a side, not a meal... maybe that's why you're not satisfied??
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    4 Hershey Kisses are about 100 calories. You can suck on them to make them last. Trydark chocolate
  • lyssasm
    lyssasm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of plain dark chocolate or any plain chocolate, but a couple squares of dark chocolate helps the cravings and it's only 50ish calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This -- sounds like your vegetable meals aren't truly satisfying/filling for you and could be too low cal. I agree that vegetables are a healthy thing to include -- why not eat them with other foods?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want something sweet after dinner. On those occasions I usually have some sweetened nuts or a small "fun size" candy bar. Or, if I feel I've already eaten my calories for the day, brushing my teeth and drinking a glass of water will usually take away the craving.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    Options
    May I recommend sugar-free jelly? You can get sachets of powder that just need some hot water and a night in the fridge. If you don't want to make it, there are little pots that come in at a pitiful 10 calories, that give you that sweetness without breaking the calorie bank!
  • GraybrielFit
    GraybrielFit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't get that sort of craving, but if I do want something sweet, I usually have a square of dark chocolate - the ones that come individually wrapped make it easier for me to portion control - or a cup of fruit tea with a little bit of honey. It comes to 30-50 calories either way.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love something sweet after lunch and dinner. After lunch I eat a piece of 70% dark chocolate. It sweet enough to get ride of the craving but no so sweet it gives me a sugar rush or a bigger craving. As another option, I like a 1/4 cup of dried cranberries with my lunch. I like a homemade cookie after dinner. I don't keep Ice cream at the house. or I'll eat way too much! I only eat is out as a treat. I stick with the theory of moderation. Also logging all your food earlier in the day might help you to stick to just one biscuit.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can eat a veg based meal but try putting them over some quinoa or brown rice. Make it stir fry, add some low cal protein. The extra 100-200 calories from adding those things into your meal is going to save you from the 350-400+ calorie binges after. Even if you feel "stuffed" maybe you crave sweets because you're not actually sated at the end of your meal. Wanting dessert is one thing but if you feel you NEED it, it may be a sign you need more at your actual meal.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt and fruit. Yum!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Nope, same problem, but you don't need four chocolate biscuits. A fruit leather for 45 calories does it for me. Very sweet and takes a couple moments to chew. If you need chocolate, a small piece of dark chocolate can do it. Dove promises are 45 calories each.

dove-dark-chocolate-smores-crack_1.jpg

My treat at the end of the day for staying within my calorie allotment, except I prefer the Dove dark chocolate caramel with sea salt. 1 or 2 pieces and I let it melt in my mouth to savor as long as possible.

• ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ALL.THE.TIME! And no, ONE piece of chocolate or biscuit does NOT do. I do find that I miss it less if I manage to go a week without (still hard to stay on track though). My 'snack' section is always my 'biggest' meal. If you're in the UK, try nakd bars or a sweet cuppa - doesn't always work for me, but more often than not. I also have to agree with doittoitgirl, your meals might be too small? I don't tend to get the 'urge' after a big Sunday roast :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Try a peppermint candy - they sell them in huge bags at Sams club.

Or a fruity flavored hot tea like lemon zinger.

• jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try adding a few grams of dried fruit and/or sweet corn to your raw salads. It's definitely healthier than biscuits and it takes away that craving for sweet.
  • PurpleSnack
    PurpleSnack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I swear if I did not eat chocolate every day, I would have never lost weight! I crave chocolate and a cup of tea after my dinner. I either leave room for it or wait an hour after dinner when I'm not stuffed then sit down and enjoy 4 squares of dark chocolate or a small bar of milk that's about 120 Cals. If I didn't do this I'd eat other things due to the craving.
    My 2 rules are everything in moderation so I don't have crazy binges, and there's. it point in being slim but deprived :P
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A cup of black coffee kills my sugar cravings