ideas for meals with rice

Options
What are some of the ways you add rice to meals and still keep it healthy? I am looking for a few cheaper and easier meals ideas but the tend to always end up higher in calories because of sauces.

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    put some veggies on the pan
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love a bowl of rice with a fried egg in it - yum

I don't usually use sauces on rice dishes, just dry seasonings added to the pan while cooking the veggies (and meats if desired) for flavor
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Chicken with greek salad dressing and rice (I usually eat it over a bed of lettuce, too)
    Chicken cooked in the crock pot with salsa...served over rice, beans, cheese, sour cream
    Taco bowls...used rice for the bottom of the bowl instead of having a taco shell
    Frozen mixed veggies, a can of chicken, cooked rice sauteed with an egg and sprinkle some soy sauce on it before eating
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    steak or pork chop cut up. Or beans.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Stir fries. Lots of veggies and some protein. You don't need to use a lot of calories, and you can just use soy sauce and ginger for flavoring.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice
    Stir fry and rice
    Egg fried rice
    Rice based salads

Adding dried beans and frozen vegetables to rice is a delicious healthy cheap meal.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i make risotto and fried rice a lot. both with veggies.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I love tuna with rice. And any kind of risotto!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Also - paella!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    pilaf (pick a vegetable combo.... We do broccoli/bacon and asparagus/fava often)
    rice adds heartiness to soups, too, e.g. mushroom cabbage soup with lots of fresh ginger & garlic & some jalepeno.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Rice in soup. Stir fry, as people mentioned -- my favorite seasonings for a stir fry are Japanese 7 spice, soy sauce, and sriracha, all low cal. Or just have it as a side with meat and veg which is the main way we have it. I don't think of rice as something that requires a sauce at all.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Don't think to hard about it. Add anything you want. I love rice with eggs, avocado, veg and hot sauce. Too bad my poverty macros don't allow for a nice bowl of rice.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    My favorite combo is a serving of white rice mixed with a can of chicken, 2 servings of frozen California blend vegetables and Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n sour sauce.