Strong Lifts 5x5

Options
Hi! I just started doing SL and I wanted to know what everyone else's experience was with it. Is it effective? How many times a week did you do it for? etc etc

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I did it for 7-8 mos. Just finished. I did it 3x a week, as the program is laid out.

It is definitely effective. I started with the empty bar for all exercises except rows (50lbs) and deadlifts (95lbs). By the end of it, I was deadlifting 200lbs and rows were up to 85lbs. Squats went from empty bar to 160lbs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The program itself tells you that it is a 3 day per week rotation. I ended up combining the workouts to do only two days per week. Basically I just did all 5 lifts 5x5 both days. It's a great program. I just switched to strong curves, but might go back to 5x5 after or try something more advanced.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I hit it for 6 months or so. By the time I switched I was squatting and deadlifting past my body weight and had maxed out the weight equipment we had available at the time in our gym. I will be getting back to it this spring after I finish my current session with a trainer. I hit my lifts on alternating days, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday while working on cardio on my off days.
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I did it for the first 6 months and the last 3 months of 2016 (the other 3 months were spent doing another program) really great program to follow, especially if you are just getting into lifting. Follow the program and go 3 times per week.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did it for a few months before I moved away from my gym and changed jobs - 3x a week with a little jogging in addition. Really felt a difference in strength and was proud of my progress while I was lifting. Its a great guide.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I used it during the final few months of my first cut. I got really lean. In retrospect I would have done it EARLIER, as a fresh beginner. It was pretty tough running that linear progression on a decent deficit and not being a complete noob.

Great program though.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Excellent beginners program. I ran it for about a year and a half. I had never lifted before, but had played soccer for like 20 years, so my lower body progressed more than upper. I got up to 335x5 DL, 315x5 squat, 215x5 bench, 200x5 row, 130x5 OHP.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now, started in May 2016. I modified it though and will do all the lifts in 1 session 3x a week, except Bench..having some shoulder issues with it so I've backed off. I have gone from the starting weights he suggests and am at 195 DL, 85 Bench, 105 Front squat, 105 Bentover BB row, 60 OHP. Not impressive but I'm also trying to lose weight at the same time. I'm definitely 100% stronger and am seeing a lot of improvements just in the way I move about in everyday life :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The program itself tells you that it is a 3 day per week rotation. I ended up combining the workouts to do only two days per week. Basically I just did all 5 lifts 5x5 both days. It's a great program. I just switched to strong curves, but might go back to 5x5 after or try something more advanced.

This was super helpful. I don't have time to get to the gym to lift 3x a week (well without it interfering with my pole schedule). I can and do get there 2x a week, so this idea to do all 5 moves 2x a week was helpful.