Frustrated

Options
My name is Samantha Shipman. I'm 35 years old and have been type 1 diabetic since I was 11. I currently weigh 275. I got horribly sick on Thanksgiving, and have been going thru a "lifestyle change," since (I hate the word diet.). I'm just really frustrated because my scale isn't moving. At all. I stay under my calories most days and I workout. What's the deal?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How sure are you of your calorie counts? Do you weigh measure everything that consume (drinks included)?

If you are sure that you are eating under the recommended calories then you would simply have to eat less. The recommendation is just a generic recommendation based on averages. If it isn't working for you then you may be below average and need to adjust down.
  • samanthashipman923
    Options
    I measure EVERYTHING and weigh EVERYTHING.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I measure EVERYTHING and weigh EVERYTHING.

Then unfortunately you'll probably just need to eat less than the general recommendation. Have you had your thyroid tested?
  • samanthashipman923
    Options
    When I was younger. I have blood work the end of February though.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It just takes time. It's not unusual for your weight to stay the same, especially when you're so over weight. The body is going through many changes, and one of them is trying to hold on to water. Eventually it will pass. So just keep exercising, and keep watching what you eat. This is a very long game.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    IF your plan is not working for you, try another plan.
    eat less or exercise more or cardio more
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. Some days it's incomplete. But the biggest thing I noticed is your sodium intake is very high. This means water retention. That could be your problem. Or, try and cut down on your salt or, drink alot of water to flush it out. You aren't logging fluid intake and it can help you in this situation. Best of luck.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I notice that you have quite a few days where you haven't logged your dinner. What's happening on those days? Are you eating out at restaurants?
  • samanthashipman923
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. Some days it's incomplete. But the biggest thing I noticed is your sodium intake is very high. This means water retention. That could be your problem. Or, try and cut down on your salt or, drink alot of water to flush it out. You aren't logging fluid intake and it can help you in this situation. Best of luck.

Thank u! I never log my water.....cuz it's rare! I struggle with water! I drink diet dp or diet green tea. I made my hubby promise to not buy or let me buy any more after these are gone from my house! I struggle for real!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Thank u! I never log my water.....cuz it's rare! I struggle with water! I drink diet dp or diet green tea. I made my hubby promise to not buy or let me buy any more after these are gone from my house! I struggle for real!

Diet dp and green tea should count as part of your water intake and will help with water retention. You don't have to drink plain water to be hydrated.
  • samanthashipman923
    Options
    I notice that you have quite a few days where you haven't logged your dinner. What's happening on those days? Are you eating out at restaurants?

Probably. Not real sure! I do know that when we do eat out, it's at a Mexican food restaurant called The Jalapeño Tree, and I cannot find their nutritional values on their things. I stick to eating their chicken fajitas (NO TORTILLAS!)!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if you drink something diet--log it as fluids, just like you would water. You can log coffee, etc too. I, myself, drink water because I like it. Up your fluids and see if it helps.
  • samanthashipman923
    Options

It doesn't matter if you drink something diet--log it as fluids, just like you would water. You can log coffee, etc too. I, myself, drink water because I like it. Up your fluids and see if it helps.

THANK U! ILL TRY THAT!

• areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

Probably. Not real sure! I do know that when we do eat out, it's at a Mexican food restaurant called The Jalapeño Tree, and I cannot find their nutritional values on their things. I stick to eating their chicken fajitas (NO TORTILLAS!)!

just find a comparable restaurant fajita, and log that. tortillas aren't forbidden. it is more important to log everything you put in your mouth. be as accurate as you can, but improvise if need be. planning and logging my meals first thing in the morning helps me. sometimes i change things around a bit throughout the the day. but i do so with the goal of still staying under calories, and meeting my macros and micros if i can. best of luck on your journey.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I eat out for Mexican a lot and order a chicken taco salad, no shell. lettuce, chicken, pico de gallo...if I have the calories and/or feel the need I'll add cheese, sour cream, guac, and/or black beans. It fits well into the plan and might be a good option for your Mexican dinners out!

I would try just tightening things up with 100% logging and the majority of your food consumption consisting of veggies, fruits, lean protein, whole grains and healthy fats.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I love Mexican food. My wife and I go out to Mexican restraunts quite a bit here in Houston. One way to make it easier to stick to your goals is to order items a la carte. If you're splitting a platter of fajitas, it's nearly impossible to estimate how much you ate when you get home. Instead, just order the items that you want. I love beef fajitas. Instead of ordering a platter or a combination plate, I usually just order three tacos al carbon which is the same thing pre-made into tacos. That's pretty easy to log, because there's a definite unit attached. I usually go for the highest calorie version of the food in the search results if it's a restaurant that doesn't publish nutrition facts.
  • 1964rb
    1964rb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use to HATE water - I was a cokaholic, and coke was the only thing I drank. But when I decided to get in shape and drink water, I got a big glass/cup with a straw, I filled it up and started drinking it down with the straw as much as I could, Using the straw makes it so much easier to just drink it down. After about 2 or three weeks, I grew accustom to drinking the water, sometimes even craved it.. I still use a 32 oz cup with a straw, and fill it with water, keep it with me and it makes it so much easier to drink that water down.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Could it be your blood sugar? Is it dipping really low? Your doc could adivise you about that. I understand type 1 is much different than type 2 but just a thought. I don't know anything about it but have a friend who is diabetic (type 2) and felt when she was on insulin she gained weight.
  • m25wong
    m25wong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha, I'm a personal trainer and nutritional advisor and a die-hard dragonboater, so hoping to give you some advice. With your diabetes, it will take you a little more time than "normal" to see a dip in the weight. However, one of the changes you may want to consider is going to a high protein (fish, good lean meats, black beans, other beans) and vegetable diet (diet meaning, food intake, not the fad stuff you see in social media/etc) and completely minimizing the carb intakes (ie. a lot less bread/pasta/wheat products) That converts to sugar in your body and that's what causes your body to hold the weight (in layman's terms). You can also try snacking (and having smaller actual means) throughout the day. Snacks such as a handful of almonds, probiotic yogurt, veggie sticks, even some cheese throughout the day. Keeping your body in a metabolic state will help cut fat since your body will be perpetually working. Good luck!