Binge eating

Options
I can't right now I feel like I erased all the healthy choices I've made by consuming 800 calories in space 30 mins ..... the messed up thing is I know it's a binge . Have anyone been able to overcome the urge to eat everything in sight

Replies

• sonyan2jc
    sonyan2jc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't beat your self up about it. Just start again. You might consider clearing your fridge: cabinets of the items that tempt you
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It happens log it and move on. I doubt you undid all that you have done. When I feel the need to binge I drink something and then stay busy. Also if I'm craving something sweet or salty I eat a small amount of whatever I'm craving because if I don't I will binge.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes. . . but 800 calories is about the amount in a regular meal, so don't beat yourself up too much.

I log the food, and get back on track as soon as possible. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back. We all do it.

Forward!!

This. As someone much smarter than me once said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "The road to progress rarely follows a straight line. There are twists and turns, and sometimes you have to go backward before you start moving forward again."

The same is absolutely true for weight loss. We can't expect to hit our calorie goal every single day. Life happens. Also, try to focus on the big picture. In the grand scheme of things, 800 calories in one sitting is a drop in the bucket when viewed in the context of your long term weight loss goal. Of course, if you're consistently over your calorie goal by 800 calories, then it might be time to start reevaluating your approach. But if this was just an occasional hiccup, then no worries. Just to log it and move on.
  • mormontsraven
    mormontsraven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Binging is always an issue for me. Logging it helps me see how bad my binges are. When I'm looking at that number on my diary, it gives me pause and makes me reevaluate whether it's worth it. I've definitely been able to control better by logging. Food and I will always have a love hate relationship
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    In addition to logging the binge and having perspective about the entirety of your weight loss, I'd also strongly urge you not to attempt to restrict in any way to "make up" for the binge. Just log it and move on. Logging and moving on is the only way I got past my binges. They got less and less binge like over time. When I was trying to make up for them by restricting after the fact? They only kept getting worse.

The only other piece of advice I have for you is to evaluate if your overall plan is too restrictive and if that led to the binge in the first place. Is your deficit too aggressive? Are you eating on a restrictive type of food plan that cuts out all sorts of things?
  • Drine85
    Drine85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just tried to follow 21 day fix and today which is day 5 I could resist the peanut butter and the Rx bar ( chocolate)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Prelogging can help me short-circuit uncontrolled eating. When I see how many calories it's going to be before I eat the whole thing, it makes it easier to not eat the whole thing.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Drine85 wrote: »
    I just tried to follow 21 day fix and today which is day 5 I could resist the peanut butter and the Rx bar ( chocolate)

I'm not familiar enough with the 21 day fix to know if that's too restrictive and if it could be a part of your problem. Could you have included those things as part of the plan, in proper portion?
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I can't right now I feel like I erased all the healthy choices I've made by consuming 800 calories in space 30 mins ..... the messed up thing is I know it's a binge . Have anyone been able to overcome the urge to eat everything in sight

Usually, when I got those urges, it's hormonal. Unfortunately, I have not been able to overcome it. I just eat in a deficit other times to make up the difference.

However, with Xmas and a few of those hormonal episodes, I'm up about 2 pounds. I'm mad at myself, but I guess it's just life. I'm trying to lose it now.
  • jessandjerry2014
    jessandjerry2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I pre log to help myself control my calories and adjust where I need to and also experiment to see where I can adjust foods to hit my macros. I did two days recently of over my days way too much when usually my protien is very high, fats are low and carbs are moderate. It's trial and error. Make sure your not too strict on your deficit. Establish a bit of a workout but don't overdo it.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I liked the concept of 21 DF as far as the nutrition balance was concerned, but it is definitely possible to follow that system correctly and eat too many or too few calories, even though you're following their program as specified. The overall program may be too restrictive for you. Have you tried tracking what you normally eat in MFP, and just eating less?
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. I wish my binges were only 800cal - mine are more like 2000-3000. Disgusting :(
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. I wish my binges were only 800cal - mine are more like 2000-3000. Disgusting :(

I had the same problem for many, many years and I fought tooth and nail to control it with little success. Thankfully, I am now getting some relief from my binge eating - I see a bariatric doctor who prescribes a medication specifically for this addictive disorder which works amazingly well for me. I supplement the medical assistance with 12 step (OA) literature and podcasts, etc. Many binge eaters are helped in Overeaters Anonymous and find freedom from binge eating - it's a wonderful program. For me, it took medication as well to stop the severe binges. Just wanted to share my experience - there is hope! Wishing you all the best!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options

The other day I ate a package of double stuff oreos in about 30 minutes. 2250 calorie. It just got worse after that.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    800 calories is a meal not a binge. Don't do a restrictive programme and make your food choices fit into your calorie allowance for the day.