Bananas are bad for breakfast!?

Options

Replies

• FFeric
    FFeric Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Actually the science of balancing acidity is chemistry. Acidic foods you intake effect your natural ph levels, and too much acid can cause heart burn as well as the obvious acid reflux. Alkaline foods will balance that. The natural ph of your skin and hair is 4.5-5.5, acid.
    It is an actual science so it gets pretty complicated, but you can google alkaline foods to help balance out the banana, or just have it with a glass of water. Water is neutral on the ph scale with a rating of 7.

You can't change your body's pH. Your body maintains pH in the 4.35-4.45 range and it usually doesn't vary outside of 7.38-7.42. As soon as your pH changes, your brain causes you to immediately breathe more to lower pH or less to raise pH to get it right back where it's supposed to be.

If your pH is routinely out side of the normal limits, you're quite ill and most likely in the hospital.

And your stomach acid has a pH of less than 1.5, so your banana isn't going to make a bit of difference to that.

Your body has a pH of 4.35-4.45? Was that a typo?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    FFeric wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Actually the science of balancing acidity is chemistry. Acidic foods you intake effect your natural ph levels, and too much acid can cause heart burn as well as the obvious acid reflux. Alkaline foods will balance that. The natural ph of your skin and hair is 4.5-5.5, acid.
    It is an actual science so it gets pretty complicated, but you can google alkaline foods to help balance out the banana, or just have it with a glass of water. Water is neutral on the ph scale with a rating of 7.

You can't change your body's pH. Your body maintains pH in the 4.35-4.45 range and it usually doesn't vary outside of 7.38-7.42. As soon as your pH changes, your brain causes you to immediately breathe more to lower pH or less to raise pH to get it right back where it's supposed to be.

If your pH is routinely out side of the normal limits, you're quite ill and most likely in the hospital.

And your stomach acid has a pH of less than 1.5, so your banana isn't going to make a bit of difference to that.

Your body has a pH of 4.35-4.45? Was that a typo?

Oops, typo. 7.35-7.45
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Bananas grow in our garden so for the past 5 years, on and off when it's the season, I eat them for breakfast, lunch, after dinner and snacks, haha. I'm in the middle of eating two for breakfast right now...! They are great for a quick, on the go brekkie or snack. Don't know about the lowering of testosterone thingy, never heard of it, but if it helps, I live on an Island where just about everyone eats bananas since they are plentiful and mostly free and there are MORE than enough children here... :D

OMG I am so jealous! :heart: Do you also have mango trees of deliciousness just hanging around?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bananas are awesome. If you enjoy them and you feel full after eating one, there's no reason to stop unless they're causing you a medical issue.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Was the article in the Daily Mail or something?

Cos the Daily Mail likes to :trollface:

seriously, come on. You know a banana isn't going to do anything negative. Maybe if you ate, like, 100 in one go.

If you eat 100 in one go you're likely to feel very very sick. My limit is 4. I've known people at sports competitions go up to 10 but they had practise.

Op: if you're diabetic you need to watch the carbs in fruit as well as everything else. If not, eat bananas all you want.

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Honestly don't think any food that grows from the ground can be bad for you.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes, why not? Fruit doesn't agree with many diabetics in the early hours or late at night, but if your body is able to process carbohydrate normally I don't see a problem with it at all. Bananas have a lot of really great stuff packed in there and keeps people satisfied too.
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    fs717 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for such valuable information.
    I can now have bananas in peace :smiley:

I'll also try to switch to different fruits every now & then for a change.
    Any recommendations?

Clementines (cuties) are a quick breakfast- easy to peel, like a banana.
  • cowgrl08642
    cowgrl08642 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great for you - I eat them on top of 1 cup of oatmeal everyday (along with almonds, seasonal fruit, and 1 Tbsp of raisins). Personally, just one banana wouldn't be enough to keep me full until my mid-morning snack, but if you find that it works for you keep it up!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    fs717 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for such valuable information.
    I can now have bananas in peace :smiley:

I'll also try to switch to different fruits every now & then for a change.
    Any recommendations?

Clementines (cuties) are a quick breakfast- easy to peel, like a banana.

My personal favourite!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I don't think bananas lower testosterone. How is that?

I actually find them to be libido boosting. Anyways, I eat about 5 a day.

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Bananas grow in our garden so for the past 5 years, on and off when it's the season, I eat them for breakfast, lunch, after dinner and snacks, haha. I'm in the middle of eating two for breakfast right now...! They are great for a quick, on the go brekkie or snack. Don't know about the lowering of testosterone thingy, never heard of it, but if it helps, I live on an Island where just about everyone eats bananas since they are plentiful and mostly free and there are MORE than enough children here... :D

OMG I am so jealous! :heart: Do you also have mango trees of deliciousness just hanging around?

@Christine_72, Not personally, but others do. Some are lucky enough to have avocados too... Can't complain, we are lucky enough to have passion fruit by the bucket load (grenadilla's to some) and Chinese lanterns (physalis)... Garden to stomach in 5 minutes flat, now that's fresh!! :D
  • FS717
    FS717 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all this information guys.
    Thank you very much!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly don't think any food that grows from the ground can be bad for you.
    Orly?

http://www.bayareamushrooms.org/mushroommonth/amanita_phalloides.html
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have one nearly every morning for breakfast...have for years. Didn't affect my weight loss one bit...I love bananas!