Oh, my poor feet!!!

Options
I have been a "walker" for about 9 months now, and decided I was ready to kick it up a notch and start jogging. I bought a pair of New Balance Trail Running shoes, because we live on a gravel road. Anyhow, I just went for a 2.5 mile jog this morning (felt GREAT!!! was SO proud of myself!) and oh my goodness - my aching feet!!!! So these new shoes are rubbing horribly on the backs of my ankles. I was about half way through my jog and thinking "gosh, that really hurts!" but just assuming the shoes need broken in. Well I just pushed through it, kicked them off when I got home, and my poor ankles are rubbed raw and my socks were bloody! OUCH!

Any suggestions? Just not the shoes for me? Or can I buy an insole or something to help maybe?

I bought the shoes online from Amazon, they had terrific reviews - they came, fit perfectly, really comfy - until I actually "used" them for their purpose!!! lol. Any ideas?

Replies

• SteffCooley
    Options
    I have been a "walker" for about 9 months now, and decided I was ready to kick it up a notch and start jogging. I bought a pair of New Balance Trail Running shoes, because we live on a gravel road. Anyhow, I just went for a 2.5 mile jog this morning (felt GREAT!!! was SO proud of myself!) and oh my goodness - my aching feet!!!! So these new shoes are rubbing horribly on the backs of my ankles. I was about half way through my jog and thinking "gosh, that really hurts!" but just assuming the shoes need broken in. Well I just pushed through it, kicked them off when I got home, and my poor ankles are rubbed raw and my socks were bloody! OUCH!

Any suggestions? Just not the shoes for me? Or can I buy an insole or something to help maybe?

I bought the shoes online from Amazon, they had terrific reviews - they came, fit perfectly, really comfy - until I actually "used" them for their purpose!!! lol. Any ideas?
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Try different socks.

Try buying a pair of dry fit socks. They made a world of difference for my feet when running. :flowerforyou:
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    You should never have to "break in" shoes. Different socks could help. You could also try moleskin.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i agree. certian socks i have rub my feet wrong. others dont bother my feet at all, same shoes.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    Maybe you could try a little heel lift inside the shoes, under the insole. So your feet will be just a bit higher in the shoes. Also, try to lace them differently like using the highest hole on the top. They have to be laced thight enough so your feet doesn't move.
    Are your shoes long enough? (you need the width of one finger at the end of your longer toe (big toe or 2nd toe). Are they too long? To narrow or too large?
    You could also go see a pedorthist .
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Absolutely agree with CristaAmy. I was told that with running shoes, you should never have to break them in. You may need a bigger size. I normally wear a 9-9.5 in my regular shoes, but my running shoes are 10 wide (blushing just a bit).

I would recommend going to get your first pair of running shoes fit by someone who knows what they are doing--try a running store, specifically, over a general sporting goods store. When I first went in, they taped me running without shoes and figured out that I had a neutral gait, and then got me my dream shoes. Then you can order off of Amazon :)
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    Agree with nopogal !!
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    Thanks everyone SO MUCH for the input! I will definitely get some different socks and try an insole. I sure hope that helps!! They are SO sore this evening!
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Walking and running are different motions. I was helping a friend break into running and we would do walk breaks, my feet blistered from my running shoes. Crazy, huh.:indifferent:

When I train for the half and full marathons I have found it helpful to put vaseline on my feet. For now get some blister band aids.

Good luck!!!