How to get a big weight loss in my first week

Options
Hi, I am new to this. I have tried different diets but think calorie counting is the best. I would love a good 4/5 pounds off in my first week to boost my motivation! Has anyone got any tips? Thanks

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Follow your calorie goal.

Remember though, IF you do have that sort of loss in your first week it comes from water. Don't expect to continue having large losses. Celebrate any loss, whether it's .1 lbs or 2 lbs. It all adds up in the end and as long as you have a downward trend and you're getting adequate nutrition and calories, you're good.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My tip for you would be don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen that way.

Good luck!

^^this

Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for ANY losses to show up on the scale, especially if you have started a new exercise program. Really, the motivation comes from consistent losses on the scale, even if they aren't always big ones.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose, total? A loss that big the first week is going to be more water weight than anything, and will come back over the next few weeks. Will a regain on week 2 derail your motivation?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you have a lot to lose, you might see a decent water weight loss. It will start evening out though over the course of a couple weeks. I really make the mistake of getting way too excited over water loss. I have literally lost 8lbs overnight and put it all back on the next morning. Just get in a deficit and keep at it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it doesnt work like that ......
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs the first week and was eating 1500-1700 cals. No guarantee that would happen for you. Of course, I had 150 lbs to lose, so that made a difference too. I would have been thrilled with 1 lb. You are likely setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment by setting such a specific goal. Focus on the things you can control, like eating within a reasonable calorie goal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't guarantee that you'll lose that much in the first week (which is mostly water weight), or even at all. I gained a pound in my first week.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It is that expectation and effort that helps people lose their motivation. Just don't even look at it as if you are attempting to only lose weight. Look at it as a lifestyle change that will bring about an accumulated result. Once I was able to change my mind set and expectations I then was able to stick with it even when it didn't seem I was losing anymore. I would like to see a faster loss but I know it isn't realistic. I would have to take on unhealthy habits to make it go any faster. So I am just going to be happy knowing my goal is getting a little closer the longer I stay on track.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    You will probably do that if you do IF for the 1st week. Your glycogen and water will go down. Won't be all fat loss most likely.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    You will probably do that if you do IF for the 1st week. Your glycogen and water will go down. Won't be all fat loss most likely.

The same loss can happen without IF. IF doesn't have anything to do with losing glycogen and water.

If you do a long enough fast, your glycogen is depleted.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Haribo sugarless gummy bears.

That's definitely one way to do it but, don't make any plans for a few days if you do because you won't be going anywhere besides the bathroom. I do not recommend.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Be happy you've started the journey, good chance you won't see any loss until the second or third week.
  • jayneallison5
    jayneallison5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I know that consistent is best, I was just looking for some advice to get kick started! Thank you