Eating fish everyday.

Options
I'm on a high protein/low carb diet. I am thinking of eating tuna and salad everyday for lunch. Can eating fish everyday be harmful?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Only if it is one of the varieties which have higher levels of mercury. Tuna is known to have higher mercury levels I believe.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's harmful for the fish
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Sardines might be a safer option if you like them. Get them with the bones and you get a huge calcium boost.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Only if it is one of the varieties which have higher levels of mercury. Tuna is known to have higher mercury levels I believe.

This is what I'm thinking. I'd pick a different fish.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are eating low carb (which is up to preference, not mandatory to lose weight), you'll be eating high fat, not high protein. You can probably eat anything you want. But 1) variety is important for nutrition and to avoid boredom, and 2) tuna may contain mercury, so choose the right varieties and/or limit intake.
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Make the varieties you eat as broad as possible. Be aware that some fish do have higher levels of heavy metals. Be also aware some tuna (yellow tuna) can make you sick if you eat a lot of it.

Also where you can - get wild fish or if it's farmed fish then learn about where it is from. A lot of imported fish (talapia and panga) is grown in vats full of anti-biotics and have been fed questionable food. It keeps the cost down but it isn't good for you.

If you are looking for alternatives (because some days you will want something different :smile: ) then op for chicken?

Many options but don't forget, variety is important.