Ideal Chocolate Milk Diet

Options
chris0912
chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
After seeing the ads on here for the Ideal Chocolate Milk Diet, I decided to give it a shot. I went to their website where I was happy to find that you could buy individual serving-size packets to try it out. I bought a vanilla and a chocolate. They arrived super quick! The vanilla I made into a smoothie, using 1/4 cup 2% milk, 1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt, 2 oz of banana and 2 oz of frozen blueberries. 1) It was delicious! 2) It kept me feeling full for around 5 hours. (243 calories/1 g fat/31 g carbs/25 g protein/108 g sodium) The chocolate I just mixed with 8 oz of 2% milk cuz hubby wanted to try a sip and he won't do the smoothie thing. Taste was decent (he thought it had a bit of an aftertaste, but said he would still drink it... from a die-hard chocolate milk fan, this is high praise), but needs a lot of mixing. I think it would be better as a smoothie as well. I'm thinking about trying a banana split one by adding some banana (duh), pineapple and frozen strawberries. Friday morning I ordered full containers of each flavor and they arrived today! So if you've seen the ads and wondered if it's any good... it is!!

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this, but you have sure got me interested now! Is it like a meal replacement drink? I LOVE chocolate milk!
  • MrsBehaving
    MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it and I haven't seen any ads. Can you include a link? So curious.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fad/scam diet...
  • chris0912
    Options
    http://www.chocmilkdiet.com/

It was developed by a clinical dietitian and has tons of great reviews from customers who have lost weight using it. It's not necessarily a meal replacement, although it can be for breakfast or lunch. The website says drinking a glass before dinner will help you to eat less, since the protein will help fill you up. For weight loss, it's recommended to have 4-5 servings a day (probably with fat-free milk, instead of the 2% I have been using) and for maintenance, 2-3 servings a day are recommended. I personally think this is a bit much... one container has 17 servings and costs $19.95 ($1.17 per serving) + the shipping charge (mine was $7 for 2 containers). They do offer free shipping on orders of $110+ (so you'd have to buy 6 containers at once). Due to the cost, I'm going to start off using them for breakfast and lunch. If they continue to stave off the "hungries" and I see some results, I might increase my servings per day.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is a scam- plain and simple. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes when it comes to weight loss and proper nutrition. Which is why so many people struggle with it and why scam artists prey on people's desperation with bogus products like this.
  • chris0912
    Options
    It doesn't claim to be a shortcut. What makes it a scam? It's a freaking nutritional supplement powder... probably not too different from the protein powders that lots of bodybuilders use. First ingredient listed on package is whey protein isolate.
  • chris0912
    Options
    And FYI... from the Q&A section: "Customers who use as directed generally experience loss of 1-2 pounds per week, which can result in loss of 25 to 50 lbs in 6 months. More rapid weight loss is not expected, nor recommended." Ooooh, sounds like another lose weight fast diet scam. Hmm, MFP recommends losing no more than 1-2 pounds per week. Coincidence?
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't see how it's any different then muscle milk powder or the NO Xplode protein powder mixes or the GNC brand, or any of the other million protein powder mixes out there... I personally use the low-cal muscle milk powder every now again to make smoothies, just because I like them and the protein is great for keeping you fuller longer. But I've only tried the french vanilla one, but ANYWAYS, I'm totally interested in trying this chocolate milk!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't see how it's any different then muscle milk powder or the NO Xplode protein powder mixes or the GNC brand, or any of the other million protein powder mixes out there.

For one thing, NO Xplode is not a protein powder- it's a pre-workout supplement. For another, this product is not claiming to be a Whey Protein product, despite what the nutrition label says. It's being marketed as "Chocolate Milk Reinvented" which is misleading copy, often associated with scams and other untruthful advertising.
    It's a freaking nutritional supplement powder... probably not too different from the protein powders that lots of bodybuilders use. First ingredient listed on package is whey protein isolate.

If that's the case, then why not buy some whey protein and be done with it? What makes this particular product so much more effective? If it's so great how come I've never heard of it or seen it in places like GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe?

But, from simply a cost standpoint, this product is a ripoff. A container retails for $19.95 and has a measly 17 servings, which averages about $1.17 per serving. This also doesn't include their marked up shipping costs, which only add to the per serving average.

For the sake of comparison, a 5 lb tub of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein on Bodybuilding.com (which is their #1 selling product, btw) retails for $44.99, but has a whopping 77 servings per container. This averages out to $0.58 per serving, which is less than HALF of what the Chocolate Milk Diet averages to.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

In the end, it's your money- spend it how you want. But if it were me, and I was wasting money, I'd want to know about it.
  • JAF55
    JAF55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just tried this last week. I ordered the sample packages. The shipping is free for July. I really loved it. I don't know if any of you use Unjury, but the nutrition label from the ICMD was identical to the Chocolate Splendor and the Vanilla Unjury. The ingredient list was also identical. That was enough to convince me to get some more, especially with the free shipping, this month. I am not a fan of the Unjury; I will use it in a pinch, but I don't actually enjoy it. This stuff was enjoyable to drink w/skim milk, to me. Muscle Milk has always been my favorite, but I thought the Unjury was more suited to MY needs...it just wasn't my favorite. The only cheap protein powder that I have found that appeals to me is the Muscle Milk regular. I would rather pay more for something that I know I will drink then have something sit on the shelf, forever, because I can't stomach it. I didn't buy the Ideal Chocolate Milk Diet for the Diet part, I bought it for the protein part.
    ...just my opinion.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your review - It doesn't look too bad and although I think its not a good diet in general (Because like any gimmick diet, as soon as you stop replacing your meals/snacks with it you won't know how to eat the right amount of maintenance calories) but it might be good every so often when you need a boost of protein and in conjunction with using something like MFP to track what you eat.

Honestly though if you want to use it as an aid for not overeating you are probably better off with just a glass of skim milk. Its a lot less calories and its pretty filling - unless you are actually working out like crazy/muscle building a glass of skim milk is probably sufficient on MOST days. Skim milk has a lot of protein and potassium - I mean I don't know your situation but for a normal diet and exercise routine the amount of protein you get daily is probably sufficient unless you are having kind of a bad day (Actually yesterday I could have really used a packet of this because I ate soooo badly). On a normal to good day I have no trouble getting 80-90 grams of protein. Unless you are trying to really bust it in you'd probably be fine most days without using a supplement like this.
  • JAF55
    Options
    I had gastric bypass, 8 years ago, and I supposedly have malabsorption. I don't really show any signs of it, as far as I am concerned though. I am not a body builder...just trying to get in some good extra protein that i like to drink.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Ideal Real Food Diet.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The only thing this "chocolate milk drink" does is supress your appetite. It doesn't make you lose weight. Calorie intake at a deficit versus Energy Expedenture makes you lose weight.

Don't waste your money. It's one thing if you need to get a protein supplement if you are having trouble meeting your protein macro requirements everyday, but this is just a waste.

Drink real chocolate milk. It's fine if it fits into your daily calorie intake and macro requirements.

/thread
  • breunor
    breunor Posts: 12
    Options
    Definitely a waste of money for what you get out of it. Yes drinking milk has some good things going for it, but there's no need to buy such an expensive supplement. I'd also suggest optimum nutrition whey powder, much cheaper per serving if you need to supplement your protein intake. Either get the chocolate flavor and use plain milk, or get choco milk and use plain powder. The powder can also be added to oatmeal or pancakes as an example, to up your protein intake that way.

There's absolutely no reason to pay for any weight loss program, when all the info you need is online for free. Eat a healthy amouont of food, and exercise regularly to burn a little above what you eat. Lift weights to maintain your lean mass and keep your metabolism up. Do it all in moderation so you enjoy your life, and you'll succeed.
  • davis22b
    davis22b Posts: 31
    Options
    It sounds similar to slim fast, which I love having in the morning. :smile:
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't see how it's any different then muscle milk powder or the NO Xplode protein powder mixes or the GNC brand, or any of the other million protein powder mixes out there.

For one thing, NO Xplode is not a protein powder- it's a pre-workout supplement. For another, this product is not claiming to be a Whey Protein product, despite what the nutrition label says. It's being marketed as "Chocolate Milk Reinvented" which is misleading copy, often associated with scams and other untruthful advertising.
    It's a freaking nutritional supplement powder... probably not too different from the protein powders that lots of bodybuilders use. First ingredient listed on package is whey protein isolate.

If that's the case, then why not buy some whey protein and be done with it? What makes this particular product so much more effective? If it's so great how come I've never heard of it or seen it in places like GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe?

But, from simply a cost standpoint, this product is a ripoff. A container retails for $19.95 and has a measly 17 servings, which averages about $1.17 per serving. This also doesn't include their marked up shipping costs, which only add to the per serving average.

For the sake of comparison, a 5 lb tub of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein on Bodybuilding.com (which is their #1 selling product, btw) retails for $44.99, but has a whopping 77 servings per container. This averages out to $0.58 per serving, which is less than HALF of what the Chocolate Milk Diet averages to.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

In the end, it's your money- spend it how you want. But if it were me, and I was wasting money, I'd want to know about it.

Mayor_West,
    Spot on! I'd rep you if I could! LoL

Love me some ON whey and casein, esp Chocolate Cake Batter Casein! Mix it w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk, MmmMmmmmm /drool.

Use casein if you want to stay full longer, btw.
  • kittyforet
    Options
    There are many different brands and flavors of protein and this is another one. I have been using it when I don't have time for a meal, or before exercising. I've tried many different brands and flavors or protein powders and found that the IDCMD tastes the best TO ME. Others may not agree, and I understand. We all have different tastes. I happen to prefer the taste of this over Unjury, GNC, Jay Robb, Ultimate Whey, etc.
    I don't mind if it costs a little more; I'd rather spend money on a product that I like and will drink, as opposed to the others that I don't like! When I have this for a meal replacement, it means I am not eating junk food and it ensures that I get my protein, which keeps me full longer. I do NOT use this specifically as a weight loss tool, but I HAVE lost weight using this and changing my eating habits.
  • JAF55
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. I really enjoy drinking this stuff! Last I looked, they did away with the vanilla. It was the ONLY vanilla that I have tried, that I absolutely love. I hope they get it back.