Beginning to run

Options
Hey everyone! So abou 3 years ago I was really into running. I ran about 3-4 times a week and did several 5ks. I went through some mental and physical issues and stopped running. During that time I have gained about 38 pounds and I currently weigh 187. Do I need to lose a few pounds before I can start a running program again? My fear is that running with this weight on me will hurt my joints and be too much for my knees. Is there any truth in that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

Most of the horror stories you hear about running and joints are told by people who don't (and haven't ever) run. Unless you have some physical limitations (injuries), there's no reason to wait. Just remember to run slowly and not far (you should be able to sing while you run - if you cannot, you're running too fast).

Try using a structured program like 'couch to 5k'. Also look at getting a good pair of shoes from a specialty running store. They will watch you run and recommend shoes made for your style.

Good luck.

FWIW - I started training 2 years ago for a half marathon weighing 220 pounds (at 5'9"). I ran the half at about 185. I had no issues and still don't. I was 159 pounds for my marathon this past November. You too can do this!
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4. Thanks a bunch! I have a good pair of shoes I got at a running store a few months ago when I was going to start back. I have my eating back under control and I just think it's time to add some workout back. I hate I ever let myself go, I was doing weight lifting and running and I just quit. Thanks for your help!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that (at least 5 times in my 47 years on this planet). :) It happens. This time I have surrounded myself with so many other runners that peer pressure alone will keep me going. Plus I have several long range goals to keep me motivated.

Keep at it!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I run every winter and have ranged from 220-260 lbs doing so. I've never had an injury from it. I go slow and pay attention to my body. I always start off with a C25K every year to ease into it. I wear well cushioned shoes and make sure to replace them when they start feeling a little flat. As long as you don't try to go too far or too fast you should be fine.
  • xBobbieJo
    xBobbieJo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! So abou 3 years ago I was really into running. I ran about 3-4 times a week and did several 5ks. I went through some mental and physical issues and stopped running. During that time I have gained about 38 pounds and I currently weigh 187. Do I need to lose a few pounds before I can start a running program again? My fear is that running with this weight on me will hurt my joints and be too much for my knees. Is there any truth in that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I love runners! Come join my facebook group, its small, and we dont sell crap! Im on IG @FromPregnantToMarathon
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Start slow using some kind of training plan, don't just start where you left off. Other than that, good shoes and you're good to go, assuming you have a clean bill of health otherwise! Drink plenty of water to keep your joints lubricated. Have fun!