Reached my goal but lost motivation

Options
Hi there!

Greetings from Australia!

This is my first post on My fitness pal. I have joined for extra motivation. Since last Feb I have lost 32 kgs by eating low carb/high fat and lots of exercise and hard work.

I reached my goal weight of 68kgs in September, but since then I have jumped up to 74kgs from binge eating ;( I lose a few kilos going really hard at it, depriving myself, working out like mad for a week, then will have a huge uncontrollable binge for a few days and undo all my hard work. Then comes massive amounts of guilt. I dont know why I do this, I crave the sweetness of foods and have no self control, I cant stick to one biscuit it has to be a whole packet.

I have lost all motivation but really enjoy the feeling of being slim and dont want to get up to 100kgs again. I thoroughly enjoy people telling me I look wonderful, its a grear feeling, I just dont want food to control me anymore and dont want to have to obsess if I go out for dinner one night or have a piece of cake. This is so hard. Does anyone have any advice as to how to achieve a healthy balance and just love and take care of my body?
Thank you ever so much

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My suggestion is that you experiment to find a way of eating that's satisfying in the long term. Don't use one way of eating to lose weight and then go back to the way you like to eat after you reach your goal. Figure out a new normal that isn't a struggle.

Just eat normally for a couple of weeks and log everything. That will give you some data. You can then go back through and see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make satisfying substitutions. The closer you can stay to your normal way of eating, the easier it should be to stick to it.

If you fall off the wagon, don't feel guilty. Don't give food that kind of power over you. Just get back on track and move forward.
  • asmith8399
    asmith8399 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post teaganiriks 1984! Thanks for sharing! It must be frustrating! Why did you start the journey of releasing weight?
  • teags1984
    teags1984 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    My suggestion is that you experiment to find a way of eating that's satisfying in the long term. Don't use one way of eating to lose weight and then go back to the way you like to eat after you reach your goal. Figure out a new normal that isn't a struggle.

Just eat normally for a couple of weeks and log everything. That will give you some data. You can then go back through and see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make satisfying substitutions. The closer you can stay to your normal way of eating, the easier it should be to stick to it.

If you fall off the wagon, don't feel guilty. Don't give food that kind of power over you. Just get back on track and move forward.

Wow thankyou seska422! Your reply is very helpful and much appreciated. You are right in everything you say, I have been eating in a way that is not sustainable for the long term and thats why I am still struggling. I will try and develop a better relationship with food, and like you say, dont give it so much power over me. The way I eat is very erratic and I deprive myself of food then feel the need to overeat, which is a vicious cycle. I know this, but just having read what you said is comforting. I want to fuel my body with good nutrition, not rob it off what it deserves. My hair has been falling out the last year too, so I will concentrate on getting more protein and healthy fats.

Thank you again for your kind post!
  • teags1984
    teags1984 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    asmith8399 wrote: »
    Great post teaganiriks 1984! Thanks for sharing! It must be frustrating! Why did you start the journey of releasing weight?

Hi asmith8399!

Thank you, it was my pleasure sharing a bit of my story ;) It is super frustrating for sure, and it drives me crazy not having control over all this.
    I started this journey to concentrate on me for a change. I am a mother to 4 children under 10, and their needs have all come before mine naturally. The turning point for me was when i was trying to fit in a rollercoaster seat this time last year-it was a real struggle. That was my wake up call to lose weight and get healthy for my kids and I. Thank you for taking the time to write, means a lot. Take care
  • butterflies5309
    butterflies5309 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Going thru a similar thing with workouts and food...it's a daily struggle to always find the ambition to workout consistently, in between work, kids, cleaning house and boyfriend I don't always find the time for myself let alone working out...I find myself waking at 2 in the morning just to find time to workout which doesn't leave me with much sleep
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

This is like the best advice ever! Thank you!