My workout clothes stink! Help!

Options
I launder my workout clothes pretty often - usually the same day I wear them. And no I don't use them for more than one workout. But they really stink. Once I start sweating, I have some serious body odor. I do morning workouts, so taking a shower first seems silly, but I have done it.

I know I should replace some of my clothes, but money is tight and my bras are $58 each. I've added a little bit of white vinegar to the wash cycle, but haven''t noticed a difference. I've purchased a bottle of tide that says it takes out the stink (I don't know the real name), but it seems to have a perfumey smell.

Any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with a perfumey smell?

i was my workout gear ona delicate cycle with non bio washing powder and that always gets the sweat out?
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You can wash them in vinegar/water instead of laundry soap. I have added about a cup of vinegar and at times some baking soda to get smells out of clothes. Do not add soap if you do this.
    You then may want to air dry, outside if you can.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    borax
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I use Borax and vinegar in my laundry. Works like a charm.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    After peeling off my workout gear, I pop them in a bucket (gallon bucket) with warm water and a cup of vinegar. There they will sit until I wash them, usually the same day.

I have used borax (it works) with the laundry soap and we always air dry the clothes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Borax.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    vinegar and borax
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I put a 1/2c of white vinegar into every load I wash, with the detergent. Nothing ever smells any more.
  • phildog50
    phildog50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do you have well water or a crappy washing machine? I add OxyClean
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I also suggest soaking, borax and arm & hammer washing soda (different from baking soda.) I'd imagine vinegar would help to, but hesitant to recommend in washer. I recently read front loaders seals can be damaged my vinegar...... I wouldn't use the perfume-y stuff either!! talk about instant migraine!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband had that problem until we started adding borax to the wash. No stink now. None. Try it.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    White Vinegar to laundry.... makes your clothes softer too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I solved it a few ways

1. Let the clothes dry after workout if you don't wash them right away. Balling them up in the clothes hamper or gym bag keeps them damp longer. More bacteria = more smell.
    2. A lot of people think more detergent cleans better. Apparently, too much will give bacteria a breeding ground. Use a small amount of detergent.
    3. As other have mentioned, add white vinegar to your wash. If you have clothes that smell now, soak them for a bit in the washer with some vinegar and then wash. This even worked on my worst sneakers.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I toss a half cup of baking soda in the wash when I'm doing my gross workout clothes, does a great job of getting rid of that ammonia stink.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water, stinky sweat can be a sign of chronic dehydration...
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with a perfumey smell?

I'm not a fan of perfume, and most of the products I buy are scent free. Plus it gives me a headache and when I'm working out, it's the last thing I want to smell. I have moved to the other side of the gym because someone was wearing cologne/perfume.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water, stinky sweat can be a sign of chronic dehydration...

Hmmm, interesting. I'm pretty sporadic with my hydration - I probably get an average of 6 glasses in winter, more in summer. Yet another reason to drink up - thanks for the tip!
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. I have some borax and vinegar is on my grocery list. I'll give it a try. I also like the bucket idea.