Philboehn
Philboehn Posts: 16 Member
edited January 2017 in Chit-Chat
Can you imagine how food tastes?

Replies

• carolinencarter
    carolinencarter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you only wanted to know what something tastes like, you would be able to have just one bite. you probably binge eat because you deprive yourself too much the rest of the time, which leads you to obsessing over food. you eventually cave in and then you binge. eat in a more balanced way and you wont find your mind wandering towards food and creating totally asinine theories.
  • Philboehn
    Philboehn Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Respectfully, I don't think that's true for me. Firstly, did you even read what I said? I can't imagine what something tastes like , it doesn't matter how often I eat it. Having one bite doesn't mean I suddenly overcome my inability to imagine a taste. I can taste everything just fine while it's in my mouth, but as soon as I swallow it, the taste is gone. Then it's the same all over again. I can, again not imagine the taste, the memory doesn't linger in my brain. I know this is hard to imagine, if you've not experienced it.

As for my unbalanced diet, … I actually don't deprive myself. I've not been great with logging things recently, but if you check my food diary you'll see that I snack every day. I don't know what you know about binge eating, but it doesn't just 'go away' by eating a balanced diet.

Lastly, why on earth does it bother you so much that I am curious about whether there is a correlation between aphantasia and binging?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can imagine how something tastes if I have had the ingredients before in other dishes. I do remember how things taste.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I can easily correlate the taste with the smell of the food.
    Some peoples sense of small and taste are pretty in sync between them. It's very rare that I
    Will taste something that is greatly different than how it smells.
    Pickles are the exception to the rule for me. They don't taste anything like they smell
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Yes I can. Thats pretty easy. Either the smell of something. Like cinnamon rolls at the fair. Or the sight of a picture of a ice cream or pizza, or hamburger. I call it tastebud muscle memory. But I'm focusing on willpower muscle memory right now.
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a fun thread about the junk food we are imaging eating..
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Philboehn wrote: »
    Respectfully, I don't think that's true for me. Firstly, did you even read what I said? I can't imagine what something tastes like , it doesn't matter how often I eat it. Having one bite doesn't mean I suddenly overcome my inability to imagine a taste. I can taste everything just fine while it's in my mouth, but as soon as I swallow it, the taste is gone. Then it's the same all over again. I can, again not imagine the taste, the memory doesn't linger in my brain. I know this is hard to imagine, if you've not experienced it.

As for my unbalanced diet, … I actually don't deprive myself. I've not been great with logging things recently, but if you check my food diary you'll see that I snack every day. I don't know what you know about binge eating, but it doesn't just 'go away' by eating a balanced diet.

Lastly, why on earth does it bother you so much that I am curious about whether there is a correlation between aphantasia and binging?

Wat?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Philboehn wrote: »

Wat?

Three little letters that described what all of us are thinking.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a fun thread about the junk food we are imaging eating..

I am imagining a bag of flaming hot cheetos. And it has zero calories. And less bellyache. And less consquences. :)
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I really have no clue what this thread is about but...

Yep. I've been trying to recreate one of my grandmother's cookie recipes that I haven't had in over 20 years. I can imagine the exact flavor and I'll know when I have it perfect.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    i've heard it tastes good but i'm not sure..