Ideal weight

Options
I'm 6'7" and my wrist measurement is 8-1/4" my elbow breadth is 4-1/2". All of these measurements are way above the large on all the charts. I started at my largest of 373 and currently weight 278. I have no idea what I should weigh, any ideas. The doctor chart said 220, which sounds way low for me. Found another online that shows 242 and one that said 191.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    191 for 6'7" is ridiculous. I knew a guy in college who was 6'5" and in very good shape, larger guy, rugby player. He was 240.

How do you feel at 278? Look in the mirror, guess how much more you want to lose and go for it. There's no magic chart really. I'm 5'9" and good at 145 while the models my height are like 110.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Oh and excellent job on the weight lost already!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Wow impressive height. 240 might look good. but depending on how much muscle you have going on will change the scale.
    Congrats on the weight loss.
  • brapril714
    brapril714 Posts: 25
    Options
    I think I'm going to go for 260 and see where I'm at. I don't think another 18 is to much. Trying to add muscle now, so we will see.
  • DazednConfoosed
    Options
    I know this is an old post, however, I thought I'd put my two cents in. Most charts, if accurate, will show you what your lean body mass should weigh. So if the chart showed you that you should weigh 220lbs, that means that withought any bodyfat whatsoever, you should weigh 220lbs. That's flesh, bones and no fat. However, a human body needs fat in order to function.

A very healthy person would have around 10% body fat. 10% of 220 is 22. Add them together and you get the 242 lbs you saw on the other chart. Most average weight people will vary between 10% and 20% body fat. That would mean that 242 lbs to 264 lbs would be about normal for your height. Yes, less than 10% body fat is doable and not unhealthy. Many athletes achieve this, however, it is more of an exception rather than the rule.
  • brapril714
    brapril714 Posts: 25
    Options
    I used an Omron HBF-306C and the biomeasure unit at the local GNC to determine my body fat %.

Heres what I got

Omron HBF - 21.6% body fat

GNC - 22% body fat

Actual height of 6' 6.7"

That would put me around 260 for a body fat % of 15%. That sounds pretty good to me.

Do you think these % are pretty accurate????
  • DazednConfoosed
    Options
    I have no idea. That is actually something I see is widely debated. I guess it all goes back to why these measures exist in the first place. They were not meant to be used the way they are used today. Perhaps if someone actually came up with a way to measure these things directly many of those arguments would stop.