Jogging Strollers

elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Sorry for all the posts lately-random questions keep popping in my head lol.

Has anyone used a jogging stroller before? Are they worth it? After baby is born I want to restart the c25k zombies run program. Thought it might be nice to bring baby with me when it warms up/come the spring.

Any recommendations on a fairly sturdy one? If not recommended, anything else you'd recommend? Like a hiking baby carrier or something?

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    This ends up being very individual. The best thing to do would be to find a local friend after baby is born and ask them if you could jog around the block with theirs a few times to see if you like it. I was still a runner when I had our kids so I tried the jogging stroller thing (we bought a nice one) and I really didn't like it. I found it very cumbersome. I couldn't imagine trying to run wearing baby but I didn't like wearing my babies in general. I'm short and my babies are very big so it just made me feel pregnant still. :p I ended up leaving baby with hubby to keep running. I just had to time my running right.

This might be one baby item worth waiting to get/try until after birth. They are expensive and you want to make sure you like running with one.

Now an exersaucer for baby and your sanity?? An absolute MUST. B) Around 4 months those become a lifesaver!! :)
  • elphie754
    There are quite few people I could ask if they have one that I could borrow to see if I like it. We have tons of kids in the area because there are two baby parks literally across the street. Will ask around.

Haha, I wouldn't bring her every single time, but we've all agreeed that we don't want baby to be a shut in, sitting in front of the Tv all day, or one of those kids that throws a fit if they aren't allowed to play on a iPad (huge pet leave of mine, when parentsbise electronics as babysitters). We want her to play outside and get dirty lol.

May be a long shot, but I wonder if mamybe therebis a place near my that "rents" jogging strollers so I could try it out. They have rental places for everything nowadays.

• ronjsteele1
    elphie754 wrote: »
    There are quite few people I could ask if they have one that I could borrow to see if I like it. We have tons of kids in the area because there are two baby parks literally across the street. Will ask around.

Haha, I wouldn't bring her every single time, but we've all agreeed that we don't want baby to be a shut in, sitting in front of the Tv all day, or one of those kids that throws a fit if they aren't allowed to play on a iPad (huge pet leave of mine, when parentsbise electronics as babysitters). We want her to play outside and get dirty lol.

May be a long shot, but I wonder if mamybe therebis a place near my that "rents" jogging strollers so I could try it out. They have rental places for everything nowadays.

Renting one is an excellent idea! That would be great if you could.

Good for you for wanting baby to play outside. Our oldest was 17 before she got a cell phone and it was only bc she was starting to work and we felt it a safety issue. But most of our friends thought we were weird. :) Books and dirt are a wonderful thing!
  • elphie754

Renting one is an excellent idea! That would be great if you could.

Good for you for wanting baby to play outside. Our oldest was 17 before she got a cell phone and it was only bc she was starting to work and we felt it a safety issue. But most of our friends thought we were weird. :) Books and dirt are a wonderful thing!

I'm in NYC, I am sure I could find a place that rents them.

I've already spoke to SOs about things like cell phones etc. If it is needed because she has lots of activities and extra curricular activities, I don't mind her having a cell phone. However it will be locked phone, basic, and set up so she can only call our family numbers.

I didn't get my first phone until I was 16, and it was locked. Could only call 5 numbers and that's all it needed to do. No reason for young kid or young teen to have a fancy phone, especially not in elementary school.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Keep in mind that baby has to be 6 months old before you can jog with them (neck and brain casing can't handle the jostling yet). I didn't realize that when I bought one, and by the time my kiddo was old enough, she didn't like being in there long enough to complete a run.

That said, it depends on your price range. BOB Revolution is well loved by many, but is also super pricey. The budget strollers are usually a bit heavier, missing features (shocks, etc.), or have lesser quality parts. Depending on your pace and how frequently you use it, those may still be plenty. My Baby Trend was 75 bucks and works fine for a slow poke like me.
  • elphie754
    Keep in mind that baby has to be 6 months old before you can jog with them (neck and brain casing can't handle the jostling yet). I didn't realize that when I bought one, and by the time my kiddo was old enough, she didn't like being in there long enough to complete a run.

That said, it depends on your price range. BOB Revolution is well loved by many, but is also super pricey. The budget strollers are usually a bit heavier, missing features (shocks, etc.), or have lesser quality parts. Depending on your pace and how frequently you use it, those may still be plenty. My Baby Trend was 75 bucks and works fine for a slow poke like me.

Thank you-I actually didn't know that.
    Budget is very tight right now, which is why I was looking into rentals and stuff.

Maybe just leave baby at home with Daddy, go out walking/jogging and maybe go out as a family for walk with the regular stroller afterwards.
  • ronjsteele1
    edited January 2017

I've already spoke to SOs about things like cell phones etc. If it is needed because she has lots of activities and extra curricular activities, I don't mind her having a cell phone. However it will be locked phone, basic, and set up so she can only call our family numbers.

I didn't get my first phone until I was 16, and it was locked. Could only call 5 numbers and that's all it needed to do. No reason for young kid or young teen to have a fancy phone, especially not in elementary school.

Yep. All of the above. You'll make a good momma and someday your kid will thank you for it. ;)

If I were there, I'd buy you these two coolest must haves for your momma sanity (and a daily shower). LOL :D

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-4-Step-Play-Piano/dp/B014D4HHOU/ref=dp_ob_title_baby

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Safari-Smiles-Bouncer/dp/B00PAUF3MU/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1484549540&sr=1-4&keywords=baby+vibrating+seat&th=1 - my other "must have." We used this when we'd go to restaurants and they were too little for a high chair but too big for a carseat carrier still (I had big babies). It's also great when they are sick and need to sleep sitting up a bit. The vibrator is soothing and they'll sleep (and thus momma does!). :) Use to take it in the bathroom with me when I'd shower too. Kept baby happy and within my earshot until they got big enough for the bouncy seat.

Oh boy! Shopping for babies is so fun! Hope you have a fun baby shower!
  • elphie754

Yep. All of the above. You'll make a good momma and someday your kid will thank you for it. ;)

If I were there, I'd buy you these two coolest must haves for your momma sanity (and a daily shower). LOL :D

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-4-Step-Play-Piano/dp/B014D4HHOU/ref=dp_ob_title_baby

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Safari-Smiles-Bouncer/dp/B00PAUF3MU/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1484549540&sr=1-4&keywords=baby+vibrating+seat&th=1 - my other "must have." We used this when we'd go to restaurants and they were too little for a high chair but too big for a carseat carrier still (I had big babies). It's also great when they are sick and need to sleep sitting up a bit. The vibrator is soothing and they'll sleep (and thus momma does!). :) Use to take it in the bathroom with me when I'd shower too. Kept baby happy and within my earshot until they got big enough for the bouncy seat.

Oh boy! Shopping for babies is so fun! Hope you have a fun baby shower!

Shopping was fun, but now I'm limited to just looking online to add to registry (on bed rest). A few of my relatives had babies in the last two years so we are getting some amazing hand me downs which have been very welcomed.

What's also nice is my male SO has 2 kids from a previous marriage (although they are 12 and 18) so thankfully we won't both be brand new parents lol. It's been really helpful because he'll mention something we need to by that I would have never thought of. Makes things a bit easier.

Also, my parents actually moved into the same building we live in (there was an apartment for rent that is really two apartments that they made into one huge one. They had to move because they kept raising their rent where they lived and couldn't afford it. So far it's been nice having them close. They've been helping out with creating the bedroom nursery, which is great since I can't do much. I'm sure they will get on my nerves every so often, but having them in the same building is nice.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    My neighbor has a BOB jogging stroller, She couldn't use it though for about 6 months as the baby was just too small. There are many you can buy used and in good condition. You will probably have to wait until the baby is about 6 months old before you can jog with her and I'm sure her pediatrician will also give you recommendations. A activity bouncer is a blessing too as she gets to be 4-6 months of age, I would put baby in it while I showered and could watch her at the same time. Also I read recently an article about not allowing babies to sleep in the car carrier and to be sure they are buckled correctly as babies have suffocated. I'll have to see if I can find that article or you can google for it. There have been incidents at daycares where babies were dropped off in their carrier and left in it.
  • elphie754
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    My neighbor has a BOB jogging stroller, She couldn't use it though for about 6 months as the baby was just too small. There are many you can buy used and in good condition. You will probably have to wait until the baby is about 6 months old before you can jog with her and I'm sure her pediatrician will also give you recommendations. A activity bouncer is a blessing too as she gets to be 4-6 months of age, I would put baby in it while I showered and could watch her at the same time. Also I read recently an article about not allowing babies to sleep in the car carrier and to be sure they are buckled correctly as babies have suffocated. I'll have to see if I can find that article or you can google for it. There have been incidents at daycares where babies were dropped off in their carrier and left in it.

Will also look into used ones. I just found out this morning that there is a huge thrift shop type store that only sells infant and child stuff. We plan on going to check it out later.

Wow that is really sad. We've opted for people to come in and babysit when needed rather than do daycare for many reasons. There are really no daycares around us that I would feel comfortable leaving her at (I am being a bit too picky/cautious about who she will be left with). My biggest requirement for any body I am going to leave her alone with (the must have a current child and infant CPR certification as well as basic first aid), I was surprised to find out many daycare are not up to date on/are expired.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    I love my jogging stroller (Bob). I'm not what I'd call a runner- its a struggle for me and I've never done more than a 5k. So I don't log as many miles as many people, and still I've found it to be completely worth it. The advantage to a jogging stroller over a traditional stroller is the lockable front wheel. You'll want this when running- it gives you so much more control. My little guy is 4.5 and still fits great so I've gotten a lot of use out of it. And while its expensive, they have great resale value. I'll probably be able to resell mine with a loss of less than $75, which is well worth the use I've gotten out of it.

Also, I was an avid babywearer. While I'd never recommend running with a child of any size that way, it is a great way to get other exercise, whether walking or at home videos. I am pretty sure there's even special babywearing youtube channels. I recommend investing in a good carrier or wrap.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Don't run while baby wearing! Their heads and bodies aren't made for that sort of bounce and impact.
  • elphie754
    Don't run while baby wearing! Their heads and bodies aren't made for that sort of bounce and impact.
    Was more for walking/hiking. We have a lot of hiking trails nearby.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My wife used one extensively with both of our boys...I don't remember the brand we had. Keep in mind that a new born can't be placed in a stroller right away so it's likely to be several months before you can use it while you're using an infant car seat clip on.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Hands down BOB stroller. I had a single when my first was born 6 years ago and still use it. I bought a used double BOB when my second was born. The ones built after 2010 (I believe) have an insert so that you can attach your infant stroller on it and use it with them strapped in so it is definitely useable before 6 months. Still use mine all the time. In fact, I still say it is by far the best baby/child item we own to this day. I have tried my friends jogging stroller and it is just no match to how smooth the BOB rides and how easy it is to jog with.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    I used a Phil & Ted's with the extra seat attachment when my second kid was born but didn't start actually jogging with it until the little guy was 1. When he was brand new I could fold the front seat down to make a flat 'bassinet' suitable for a newborn.

It worked well for us because it's small and narrow and fits easily into our trunk and on the bus. My younger guy is almost 4 now and still loves going in it, he's actually a good coach because he keep tells me to keep going fast :p
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    PS- if your budget is tight, look into local babywearing groups. You can get help with fit and use, and many will let you borrow a carrier every month for a very minimal annual fee.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    I use a jogging stroller. Mine is the Britax model that came with the infant car seat and bases, which is probably a low-end model but it was worth every penny! It is the stroller that Little Bit is in in my icon. Let me preface this with the fact that I do not jog. I walk A LOT though, and have found this stroller to be super-handy for "off-roading," or taking unpaved trails. It has been sturdy enough for us to use the last 18 months. I think we locked the car seat in for the first 5 or 6 months though. You may find a quality one in a resale group, whether on FB or Craigslist or a resale shop. I don't think a regular stroller would be as versatile.
  • elphie754
    PS- if your budget is tight, look into local babywearing groups. You can get help with fit and use, and many will let you borrow a carrier every month for a very minimal annual fee.

Good to know, will look for one in our area.