Options
13»

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Honestly don't think any food that grows from the ground can be bad for you.
    Orly?

http://www.bayareamushrooms.org/mushroommonth/amanita_phalloides.html

*We Have Always Lived in the Castle feels*

Or perhaps one would prefer a delicious suicide tree fruit
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    They can cause constipation if you eat too many (especially if your body isn't used to them). One or two a day should be no problem.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Bananas are a perfect "grab & go" natural, nutritious food.
    I don't know your height / weight, so not sure of your caloric goals.

Also grab some nuts, like almond or walnuts.
    If you want mix it up a bit with macros & nutrients.

Nuts are high in fiber & fat & protein (which balances out the carbs in bananas).
    And calcium, omega-3 and Vitamin E, and sooo much more.

Keep in mind a 1/4 cup of almonds has about 150 calories, so they're calorie dense.
    If too many calories, you could select a smaller banana & include nuts. just a thought.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-nuts

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »
    it depends how you eat them..... normal out of the skin...perfectly fine.....but grilled, stuffed with chocolate and sprayed with whiskey (see picture) is a total different story.

Totaly delicious tho.....

ewa4125k5qmd.jpg

This guy gets it.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    BANANAs are great.
    btw ~ My 83 year old mom has a banana & a glass a milk every single day. And I truly think this is part of why she's so healthy.

She's on absoluteley no meds, not even aspirin. Good weight, walks 20 minutes a day.
    Lives at home, still drives, does her own house cleaning & gardening.
    Eyesight is pretty darn good, too. Wears glasses occassionally.
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bananas. On my cereal, in my smoothies, or as a stand-alone snack. Love 'em, although they do tend to give me major gas at times.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    OH god you had to go start the Bananas are bad fire. Hah. The bottom line is - if it works for you then eat it. If its not working then find something else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Love bananas however they're high in carbs and sugar but the way I see it, it's gotta be better than some high sugar cereal or even chocolate biscuits.

I'd suggest having no more than 1 a day however if it fits in with your calorie allowance and macros then why not?

In summer I love smoothies (which can include bananas, kiwi fruit and cucumber as examples of other foods that will fill you up whilst loaded with goodness) for breakfast as they're easy to have on the go. You do need to watch what you're putting in your smoothies.

the sugar in cereal is the same as in the banana ...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Only if you leave peels on the floor and then slip and crash.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Actually the science of balancing acidity is chemistry. Acidic foods you intake effect your natural ph levels, and too much acid can cause heart burn as well as the obvious acid reflux. Alkaline foods will balance that. The natural ph of your skin and hair is 4.5-5.5, acid.
    It is an actual science so it gets pretty complicated, but you can google alkaline foods to help balance out the banana, or just have it with a glass of water. Water is neutral on the ph scale with a rating of 7.

Are you sure you have a handle on this? I note that the PH of your stomach is normally kept at 1.5 to 3.5 due to the natural hydroelectric acid secreted by your parietal cells. Heartburn is not so much a problem of your stomach being more acidic as much as it is reflux of your normal stomach acid into your esophagus due to a number of problems, sometimes a weakened esophageal sphincter sometimes eating too much. The systemic cases can be treated with drugs that provide systemic acid reduction (Prilosec), sleeping at an angle, weight reduction, etc. If you want to neutralize the PH temporarily, take a Tums.

As for bananas: I eat them daily and find them soothing.