Which Beachbody Program for Bikini Bodybuilding?

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
I am wanting to lean out and have that Bikini Bodybuilder look (I know there are more extensive ways to train if I wanted to compete).
What workout program would you recommend?

I am debating between these:
P90X
P90X3
Hammer and Chisel

My diet will most likely be towards the P90X 50P/30C/20F split, maybe more 40P/30C/30F.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are limited to selecting from P90X workouts?

I'm just curious, thanks!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Any reason you are limiting to Beachbody programs? They are great but can be expensive. There are plenty of free programs at bodybuilding.com that may offer more of the look you are going for.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    P90X3 is more cardio IMO. It does have push-ups and you can use weights and bands, but it was a lot more cardio than anything. Now, it's been a good 2 years since I've done it, so it could be different than I'm remembering, but I remember cardio more than anything from that series.
  • ANT98
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I am a beachbody coach for now, and I have all the workout programs already, so I want to see to what extent can I use these programs?
    I know bodybuilding.com has great stuff, but I prefer the videos as they are more my style.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    P90X3 is more cardio IMO. It does have push-ups and you can use weights and bands, but it was a lot more cardio than anything. Now, it's been a good 2 years since I've done it, so it could be different than I'm remembering, but I remember cardio more than anything from that series.

I would disagree, it's more strength based than something like insanity
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    ANT98 wrote: »

I am a beachbody coach for now, and I have all the workout programs already, so I want to see to what extent can I use these programs?
    I know bodybuilding.com has great stuff, but I prefer the videos as they are more my style.

P90X3 gets my vote, but you'd be better off with an actual lifting programme
  • ANT98
    edited January 2017
    Options

What other program would you suggest?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Maybe go with Body Beast, but given the choices you would probably be good Hammer and Chisel or P90X3
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    This could get Nasty " Subscribed"
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

I would disagree, it's more strength based than something like insanity

OP didn't mention Insanity. I was giving her my opinion of X3. So compared to Insanity yes, it is more strength based. But compared to P90X it seemed more cardio to me. But like I said it's been at least 2 years since I've done X3, so I could very well be wrong.
  • TavistockToad
    edited January 2017
    Options

What other program would you suggest?

Strong lifts, 5/3/1, NROL4W, strong curves... Google is your friend... I thought there was a thread round here with some links, but can't find it...

ETA... found it!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know that P90X3 has enough strength training to really get there. I'm enjoying Hammer and Chisel now, but I still wouldn't say it has the volume of training needed for a bikini look. I would probably go with a round Body Beast since it has a lot of compound movements and accessory work to really hit the muscles, and then do H&C or just a round of Chisel to lean out.

If I am misreading how much of the bikini comp look you are going for, you could probably lean out and see some good definition with H&C or P90X3. Not sure what your starting point is either, so that makes it hard to really give good advice.
  • ANT98
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I don't know that P90X3 has enough strength training to really get there. I'm enjoying Hammer and Chisel now, but I still wouldn't say it has the volume of training needed for a bikini look. I would probably go with a round Body Beast since it has a lot of compound movements and accessory work to really hit the muscles, and then do H&C or just a round of Chisel to lean out.

If I am misreading how much of the bikini comp look you are going for, you could probably lean out and see some good definition with H&C or P90X3. Not sure what your starting point is either, so that makes it hard to really give good advice.

Starting point is that I kind of look soft but muscular??
    So wanting to lean out but start getting to the "look"?
  • ANT98
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

If you are a beachbody coach, don't you have training materials that guide you to match programs up with people's goals?

I just started coaching so yes, that is my goal to be able to do that, I was just wondering from this community too.
    Oh please don't take that the wrong way?
    I've been looking at different bikini bodybuilding programs on bodybuilding.com and seeing where they compare to the Beachbody programs. Not that I was going to switch but see the split and types of exercises they use.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I agree with this. If you have to choose a Beachbody program, I would lean to Body Beast with maybe extra glute work since I find the glute stuff lacking in that program in my opinion. But not to say you can't have a lean 'toned' body from the other programs, I think they can be quite successful. But specifically if you want a bikini bodybuilder look, well, that can take years, and definitely requires precision training - weight lifting, progressive overload with lots of glute focus...perhaps a few bulk/cut cycles.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at 21 Day FX. She actually has a nutrition plan with this one that is geared for this. P90X3 is a great one too and definitely not cardio oriented. Body Beast would be good to look at. I have not tried Hammer & chisel so can not say for sure but based on the trainers I think it is worth a look.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is the order I would choose from:

Body Beast --> P90X --> X2 --> Hammer and Chisel -->CLX-->X3.

Coming from doing all of these, I can tell you, they are not nearly as effective as a good lifting program. They are OK, and largely are just a bunch of bro-splits. So they can work, when combined with diet, but they are far from optimal. I only wish I would have started with a good lifting program sooner but I wanted to workout at home.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Really interesting and from your other posts I see you as a great resource!

Now, I'm almost done with Body Beast and I want to continue working out from home because going to the gym is just now part of my lifestyle right now (mom of two young ones, time and money are obstacles to hit the gym and I have a neat little gym at home now).

So.... I now land at 133 lbs, 20%BF and want to bring it down to about 16% while using a good lifting program. I haven't been able to break the 20%BF, ever.

What other program (non beachbody) would you recommend for lifting from home?
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Here is the order I would choose from:

Body Beast --> P90X --> X2 --> Hammer and Chisel -->CLX-->X3.

Coming from doing all of these, I can tell you, they are not nearly as effective as a good lifting program. They are OK, and largely are just a bunch of bro-splits. So they can work, when combined with diet, but they are far from optimal. I only wish I would have started with a good lifting program sooner but I wanted to workout at home.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you're not familiar with the BB programs yet, perhaps you could talk to your sponsor/upline or a fellow coach within your team?