I think I suck at this.

Options
I get on here all the time and read the success stories, and I keep thinking that's going to be me someday, yet here i am months later..... with no change, at least no weight loss, maybe a couple more lbs of weight gain, ugh. Idk some people make it look so easy and I just don't get why I can't eat better and lose weight. I literally have no energy, I'm always tired, I feel depressed, idk it all just sucks.
I went from running around 5 days a week as a server to being a nanny and although i dont sit all day it's much more sedentary than my serving job.

Replies

• arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you logging accurately? Weighing your foods with a scale? Sticking to the deficit MFP gave you?
  • Ashley2733
    Ashley2733 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've made a drs appt, thank you for responding
  • Ashley2733
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »
    Are you logging accurately? Weighing your foods with a scale? Sticking to the deficit MFP gave you?

I don't have a food scale but I eat at the deficit mfp gave me. There are days it doesn't seem too hard then other days I feel like I'm starving and give up
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me...I have to wait until I am motivated to do it. Turning 40 with a 40" waist was it for me. I am determined that is not going to happen. It did turn out for me that I had hypothyroidism...that meant low energy and the weight magically appears without even trying. Add a little depression in the mix and it is hard to drum up enough energy to care. I have felt immensely better in the last couple weeks since I have been eating better. Add me as a friend if you want.
  • arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I don't have a food scale but I eat at the deficit mfp gave me. There are days it doesn't seem too hard then other days I feel like I'm starving and give up

I definitely echo PP's suggestion to see your doctor about your symptoms, and it's good to hear you made an appointment! It must be difficult being a nanny when you're feeling so tired. I went through about a month of that before the holidays and it was very hard to motivate myself to really do anything at all.

What do you have your activity level set to in MFP? If it's set to active/lightly active and you feel that your current job is more sedentary, you may want to try changing the activity level to not very active and eating those calories for a few weeks to see if that helps.

What helped me when I was going through my semi-depressed period of time recently was incorporating 20-minute workouts every day or other day. It was hard to peel myself off the couch and force myself to work out, but once I started, I felt more energized and at least more in control of my mood/energy levels. I've also been prioritizing sleep a bit more and am shooting for at least 7 hours a night, which has helped a bit (but not as much as the working out, honestly). I do bodyweight and HIIT videos from YouTube because my schedule and current situation don't really make room for gym time and it's basically dark outside when I'm not working so that cuts out walking or running for me right now.

Don't give up! You will get through this! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

How many calories are you shooting for? You might try a smaller deficit. Slower weight loss is better than none.

Also, you don't have to eat the same number of calories each day. If you are hungrier some days than others you can eat more on the hungry days and less on the others. As long as it averages out to a deficit over time you'll still lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I would suggest picking up a food scale. If you've been religiously tracking your intake this entire time and not lost any weight, then you're eating more than you think.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I think getting a food scale will be a huge help to you. You can't really be sure if you're eating at a deficit if you're not weighing your food. Also, I'm assuming you did this already but it doesn't hurt to ask: Did you change your activity level in MFP when you switched jobs?

Finally, I think it's great that you've made an appointment to see your doctor. I went through a pretty serious bout of depression several years ago and what you mentioned in your post - not having any energy, always feeling tired, thinking it all just sucks - was exactly my mindset during that time. It's really difficult to get up the motivation to workout, stick to a plan, etc when you're depressed. Hang in there and best of luck to you! :)

(Edited for clarity and grammar.)
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    .... I literally have no energy, I'm always tired, I feel depressed, idk it all just sucks.

I hear you, girl. It sucks.

It sucks so bad.
  • CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh and measure more accurately. Also, if you eat higher protein foods you will find you are fuller for longer.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

You have no idea how many calories you're eating if you're not accurately measuring out portion sizes. This means you don't actually know if you're at the deficit you need to be at for your weight goals. Also, your food diary is not open-can you make it public so we can take a look at it- many times people will be choosing inaccurate entries, which can also mess things up.

And lastly OP what are your current stats (age, height and weight), how much do you want to lose and how much are you aiming to lose per week?

We'll get things sorted out, we just need a bit more info to help :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are eating more than you think you are.

get a food scale.

learn how to weigh and log accurately.
  • Ashley2733
    Options
    My current stats are, I'm 29, I'm 5'5 I weigh 168, I want to get down to 125-130. My calorie goal according to mfp is 1540. I switched it to lightly active, vs when I was a server. I tried putting it on not active and it gave me 1220 and I felt like I was starving most days.

Thanks to everyone who responded I truly appreciate it. I feel so alone in wanting to lose weight, but of course I know I'm not. It's just nice to be able to get on here and find people who can relate. Thanks again
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister. I am throwing a totally hissy fit right now because losing weight sucks. Being hungry sucks. Not eating what you want sucks. Not eating when you want sucks. It all sucks.

But being fat and unhealthy also sucks. Not being able to wear the clothes I want sucks. Not being able to do the things I want to do because I am too big sucks. Knowing I wasted so many years of my life being fat that now I am too damn old for it to matter if I lose weight sucks. But I am going to have to suck it up, be miserable and do it anyway.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Depression can definitely play a role in your momentum - speaking from personal experience. Working on that should be your first step. What has helped me is starting out small, and slowly building up that momentum. For example, my fiancé and I are focusing this month on our eating habits - smaller portions, healthier choices, etc. The plan is in the upcoming month, slowly incorporate exercise into our schedule as well. (I focus on walking - easy and fun if you have the right walking route!) Just don't overwhelm yourself, because that will make you want to give up. Small changes can make a big difference, too. Don't give up - I have faith you can do this!