Calories left over?!

Options
Charliegirl1974
Charliegirl1974 Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm confused. MFP tells me to eat 1200 calories if I want to shed some lbs, but I've also heard not to go below 1500. I may eat my goal's worth, but I exercise it off. What if it tells me I've still got calories left? Will I gain weight or lose?!

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Youll probably still lose if your excerising, you definately wont gain, 1200 is the minimum the body needs most bodies can lose with even 1600 depending on activity/age/height/gender
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If MFP tells you to eat 1200, that is NET. That is the lowest MFP will suggest for women, 1500 is the recommended minimum for men.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving you 1,200 because it's the bare minimum the site will let you go, and you most likely selected to lose 2lbs per week. You really are only going to lose 2lbs per week if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose.
    Depending on your age/height/weight, your goal will be different.

The best thing is to find an online calculator and figure out your BMR, TDEE based on activity level, and then subtract a deficit no higher than 20%. Here is a good place to start:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1500 is for men, 1200 for women, but that also depends on your stats (height, weight, age, activity level, loss per week goal).

With MFP, you need to eat back your exercise calories. See http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation

You want to eat close to your goal + exercise calories to lose weight at a safe rate.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you an allotment for exercise...if you burn alot of calories exercising, you might want to eat a portion of them back.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Your activity level matters a lot in all of this. If you are sedentary then 1,200 isn't so bad. I have never heard anyone say not to go under 1,500 though. No matter what though if I'm not hungry I just don't eat anymore until I am hungry again even if my calories are low. I feel like it balances out between the days I go over by a little.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    MFP is giving you 1,200 because it's the bare minimum the site will let you go, and you most likely selected to lose 2lbs per week. You really are only going to lose 2lbs per week if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose.

The best thing is to find an online calculator and figure out your BMR, TDEE based on activity level, and then subtract a deficit no higher than 20%. Here is a good place to start:

Problem for me is that once you get very heavy then these numbers become crazy... according to your link and the sub-pages on it to lose 2lbs a week i should still be eating a couple cals short of 3000!

That's ridiculous imho.....
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Problem for me is that once you get very heavy then these numbers become crazy... according to your link and the sub-pages on it to lose 2lbs a week i should still be eating a couple cals short of 3000!

What are your stats?
    Sex
    Weight
    activity level
    weight loss goal

When I started, I was able to eat ~2300 with a 2 lb per week loss, which meant maintenance was 3,300. I was also a 6' 300+ lb guy.
  • Anamaere
    Anamaere Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wait, nevermind, brain isnt processing atm. Apparently my current BMR is 2k according to that link. Thats my celing for a 'bad' day where i eat whatever i want currently...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I'm losing 3lbs a week at 2300 calories and you weigh considerably more than me so it's not that crazy.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

What are your stats?
    Sex: Male
    Height: 185cm / 6ft 1in
    Weight: 182kg
    activity level: office job and long commute so sedentary
    weight loss goal: ideally 1-2kg a week

Eating at the moment: around 1400 > 1800cal / day, ~120g protein, ~35g fat (trying to keep sat fat low), and 70>150g carbs

When I started, I was able to eat ~2300 with a 2 lb per week loss, which meant maintenance was 3,300. I was also a 6' 300+ lb guy.