Teachers of MFP!

Options

Replies

• kaylarenee2889
    kaylarenee2889 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first year of teaching high school biology (mainly 9th graders) in Georgia and have definitely not figured out the work/life balance yet. I get to work around 7:30 am, lunch at 10:30 am, and usually feel so overwhelmed with work that I don't leave until 6 pm because I can't get work done at home. I'm starved by the time I leave and have a bad habit of stopping by fast food places or eat quick junk when I get home because I am way too tired to even think about cooking. I have no clue how much weight I have gained so far this year (plus last year as a full time student teacher - was essentially a co-teacher the entire year) but I am sadly at an all-time high. I decided over the break that I need to figure out a way to make a change! I have a final goal of losing 60 pounds (I weighed more than I would have liked before any of this). I did better this past week with food but have yet to figure out time or energy for working out.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am in my 18th year of teaching high school Science in an urban setting...I have been on MFP in the past, and then left, and am back to try to regain some balance in my health. Over the past year, I have put on about 25 pounds (on a good day, it's probably closer to 30), and it's time to think about me...
    I am blessed that the school I am presently in has an indoor track, a pool and a small weight room. I do occasionally have time to walk during my planning time (or I make time), and I have found that avoiding the staff lounge is not just good for my waistline, but also good for my soul.

As for gaining in the first year...as it was pre-children for me...I didn't gain much, but as my responsibilities became more (adding a house, a husband, two kids, etc), it became harder.

@vrosebegin2112: I have developed over time what I refer to as teacher's bladder. Literally I can drink 32 oz before I have to use the restroom; however, in the case of emergency, I can ask security or another teacher to watch my class (and have occasionally run out with a trustworthy class). Your body will learn a schedule--just like we train our pets to go to the bathroom--but it takes a few weeks.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOOO jealous of the snow day! I was sure that the power would be out at school today and I could stay home. But, alas, no. :o
    Am drinking wine and grading papers here as well. Grades are due tomorrow!
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I teach Social Studies at the HS level. Started this journey Dec. 6 at 286. Looking to get down to about 200-210. Been lifting and walking 3 days a week (M,W,F), with 20 minutes of HIIT cardio 3 days a week (T,Th,Sa). Also tracking my food here on MFP. Cutting out soda was the hardest (6+ per day before). But haven't had anything but water to drink in 35 days. Currently down 22 lbs. at 264 as of this morning. Feeling much better. The true test is going to be if I can stick with it when baseball season kicks off next month (I coach). Lots of stopping at McDonalds and very little time to work out since we have games 5 nights a week from Feb-May. Please feel free to add me so we can encourage each other to continue our respective journeys to health! Oh, not to make you guys too jealous, but it's a snow day here as well
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hey teachers!

I've been doing better at keeping my paws out of the pretzel jar at work. I did it a few times last week but I logged each stupid pretzel. So basically, eating at work is going BETTER...the wine I need to cope, and that I have while I'm trying to date as a newly singly woman at 31 in NYC is definitely not helping.

I gained a lot of weight in September-December. After getting some blood work back it was revealed that I had MONO. I didn't even know it. I mean, I felt really not....great. It's helping me cut myself a bit of slack though. I worked through it all.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am an ese teacher currently teaching in a kindergarten inclusion room. I also have to drive 40 minutes one way to and from work and am a single mom to a special needs son who doesn't eat much other than pizza, tacos, and steak. Plus he goes to a different school than I teach at so transportation is lots of fun. It's rough! At one point I had lost nearly 100 pounds, but after adopting him, getting divorced, moving halfway across the country, plus teaching I've gained a lot of it back. I currently have about 85 pounds to lose to be at my dream weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Former elementary (k-6) and preschool music teacher. I'm on disability now
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wow! what a thread. Another first year high school teacher here - was so stressed the first 3 weeks I could barely eat (which is REALLY saying something about the stress) then made up for it big time and put on additional weight. I have not weighed in recently since I tend to be a slave to the scale, but will in a few weeks.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hey There! I love this thread idea. I am a veteran teacher (25 years) who has bounced up and down in weight. I have managed to keep off my heaviest weight since logging on mfp 500 days ago. At my heaviest my blood pressure zoomed up out of control and I was low-energy, joints starting to hurt-hey aging ain't for sissies but I just didn't want to keep getting heavier and having to use more medication to control my b.p. So I stumble onto mfp and learned more and more strategies that have worked for me as a busy elementary music teacher. Here's a list of what has worked for me.
    1. Always have a protein rich breakfast
    2. Always run to the bathroom first thing
    3. Always walk past the snacks and treats in the breakroom (sometimes I imagine my messiest student putting their fingers in the treats--yuck now i wouldnt go near it!)
    4. Always eat protein before a staff party-dont go there super hungry
    5. Always drink loads of water on the drive home-not during the day, cause who has time to....
    6. Always have a snack in the car for the ride home so you don't go to drivethru or overeat before a real dinner
    7. Always include vegetables on half of your dinner plate
  • TeachingT
    TeachingT Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It is nice to see that the teacher prep room doesn't lie just me in. I swear our PTO is trying to sabotage any and all diets. It doesn't always seem to be someone's birthday as well.
  • madelinecamille
    madelinecamille Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    5cheetahs wrote: »
    I have a group of teacher friends that meet at the Y at 5:15am for different classes.

That sounds so motivational! I wish my coworkers would do something like that. We're an early start school though with lots of teachers with a 30+ minute commute, so I don't know who'd be willing to get up that early. I've been thinking about setting up a Fitbit challenge instead; I've seen several people wearing them.

• TeachingT
    TeachingT Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a group of teacher friends that meet at the Y at 5:15am for different classes.

That sounds so motivational! I wish my coworkers would do something like that. We're an early start school though with lots of teachers with a 30+ minute commute, so I don't know who'd be willing to get up that early. I've been thinking about setting up a Fitbit challenge instead; I've seen several people wearing them.

We do a Fitbit challenge every week. It's a great motivator!
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I home school my lil 5 blessings
  • BigNeeNee
    BigNeeNee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a high school counselor in Texas. I have about 40 pounds I'd like to lose. In 2011, I lost 50 pounds. My mom passed away in 2012 and I slowly began putting the weight back on. My motivation and energy are both low.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I struggle on Wednesdays at school. The kids dismiss early at 1:20 but the teachers stay until 4:30. Sometimes we are in and out of meetings, but there is down time. I usually find myself getting into something because I'm not teaching. I'm hoping I won't be a complete failure tomorrow.
  • madelinecamille
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I struggle on Wednesdays at school. The kids dismiss early at 1:20 but the teachers stay until 4:30. Sometimes we are in and out of meetings, but there is down time. I usually find myself getting into something because I'm not teaching. I'm hoping I won't be a complete failure tomorrow.

I have that problem too. When I'm busy, I don't think about snacking/overeating. Maybe you could pack a healthy snack to eat during that time instead.
  • madelinecamille
    Options
    BigNeeNee wrote: »
    Hello, I'm a high school counselor in Texas. I have about 40 pounds I'd like to lose. In 2011, I lost 50 pounds. My mom passed away in 2012 and I slowly began putting the weight back on. My motivation and energy are both low.

Sorry about your mom; I can't imagine what that must be like.

Your motivation may not be as low as it seems-- you came back to MFP and know you want to make a change. You lost the weight before and you can definitely do it again
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @eday79 are you a certified teacher?

No I'm not, I got my degree in business. My mom is but left the profession. She teaches a couple days & I do the rest.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    One strategy for long meeting days--I sit away from the carb table and I have water, cause it's okay to run to the bathroom during meetings(lol).

I think because we are always "on" as teachers it is easy to skip eating and when we are "off" we overeat, at least that is true for me.

I have to look for the Fitbit ladies in my buildings, they are motivating me to get up and walk around instead of sitting during breaks.

Fitbit challenge sounds like a fun and motivating idea!!

Also, steer clear of negative, toxic, complainers! It's a minefield out there, protect yourself! Find a positive, energetic person to model - it's worked for me,
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am a 24-year veteran teacher of gifted/talented students. At my school, all students and staff must pay for their school lunches by depositing money into their individual accounts. No cash is accepted. I never set up an account, therefore I must bring my lunch every day. It was one of the smartest decisions I ever made. My rule for eating at school is that if I didn't bring it in my lunch box, it's not for me. So I don't eat it. It makes it much easier to avoid the junk in the work room. I always pack healthy snacks, as well. Some days I eat them. Most days I don't. But it's reassuring to know that I always have something if I'm desperate.