Negative side effect of weight loss?

Options
Thought I might post this question here.
I've seen doctors for the health issues that motivated me to lose weight. They are now happy with my weight and markers. The labs and blood-work look good. I'm not taking medications. I'm generally healthy, at least for my age early forties. I'm a single female. I have a curvy body type. My humble brag is I'm sexy, men also agree. I'm getting fitter. I'm wondering whether weight loss can make you lose your sex drive? I have time and energy but just no interest, has anyone faced this?

Replies

• kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mine has only increased. Libido can be affected by many things. I suspect that eating at a large deficit for a long time could have that effect. beyond that, it might be a good idea to bring it up with your doctor who could check your hormone levels, etc. Perhaps it could be an early symptom of menopause? (I'm only 38, so not there yet) That's my 2 cents.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    opposite for me
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How much fat are you consuming? If you are losing a lot of weight fast and not consuming enough fat for healthy hormone production, then that could be a contributing factor.

Edited to add: typo
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have very little interested. I assumed it was hormone levels (tested practically zero) and chronic pain with nerve damage (pudendal).

Maybe have your hormones checked.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 39 and it steadily increases as ive lost weight (80 pounds so far)

but then, having a man im engaged to and adore ... helps. LOLOLOL
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you consuming? If you are losing a lot of weight fast and not consuming enough fat for healthy hormone production, then that could be a contributing factor.

Edited to add: typo

That's the first thing I thought of as well. Too low fat intake can tank your libido. In addition, for some people simply not having sex ends up reducing sex drive.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Mid 30s here, and as I've lost weight my sex drive has increased. It was almost nonexistent when I was at my highest weight, but that could have also been because of the birth control I was taking. (That could be a factor if you've recently started or switched hormonal birth control)
  • gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Interesring quesrion. Mine increases when I am working on losing weight. Something to do I guess that keeps my mind off eating. Lol!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Mine has decreased dramatically. I'm 37 and as a result of medical issues in perimenopause fairly young. I just assumed that was why and didnt link the decreased drive to weight loss.
  • FitCurvyFemale
    FitCurvyFemale Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading the responses, thanks. I think the conclusion is just do it.