MFP Vs Non calorie counting healthy lifestyle

Options
Hi all, just wondering why you chose MFP over just a healthy lifestyle (not counting calories, eating as much as you want of health foods, eating only when hungry etc). For me, it's because it isn't sustainable as I will be good for a few days even a week, and then just eat all the junk. I will feel deprived even if I have a treat each day. Because of calorie counting I still find I have the mentality to think If I'm eating too much, but at the same time found it freeing not to think about cals. However I choose mfp because it's worked well in the past (profile is of my lowest weight 129lb or a bit heavier) and I can choose what I want to eat without feeling guilty if I eat a few bad things. I actually enjoy logging my food sometimes.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 something pounds eating less and logging in a notebook but not counting calories. I only started logging calories with MFP when I got stuck and needed to be more exact in order to see where to cut down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I chose both...

I lost a good chunk of weight before MFP by changing my dietary habits. These weren't overnight, flip on a switch changes...these changes were basically an evolution in healthier eating...finding things I could and should cut back on and adding things in that I wasn't getting enough of (fruits and veg, quality complex carbohydrates, etc)

I didn't start using MFP until I decided I wanted to start working out. To that point, I mostly focused on moving a little more...mostly some walking with some basic calisthenics a few days per week...nothing to strenuous. As a former competitive athlete I understood that I would need to fuel my fitness for proper recovery, performance, and fitness development so I joined MFP to help ensure that I was getting adequate nutrition on that front while not going overboard and stalling my weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    because it makes sense.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Brill answers, keep them coming :) Helps newbies find motivation for MFP I'm sure
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've done both. Last time I lost 80+lbs without counting anything. I swiched how/what I ate and started moving more. It worked. This time however I was stuck gaining and losing the same 5lb until I started counting. This works now.

Should note that the 30lb I gained back resulted from switching to a more sedentary job with an added commute and moving in with my chef boyfriend. I did not make changes to accomodate how my life changed to stay on track.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Because I've tried just "watching what I ate" and even if I didn't binge on treats (which I just incorporate into my calorie allowance now) I was still eating too much. My servings were too big

Ditto!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Every time I stop logging, I gain back all the weight. This time around I will log everything.