Feedback needed from PALEO practitioners

Options
Hey all looking to do paleo or perhaps the Whole 30 diets anyone out there done these and can provide with some guidance???!!!

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    What kind of guidance?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    What kind of guidance?

This. Hard to provide guidance without writing a 50 page book on the Paleo diet. I foudn the easiest thing to do to get started is to choose a meat, marinate it in olive oil and spices, and then choose a veggie. You've got your protein, fat, and carbs.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Not sure what guidance you need, but here are some basic starting tips.

1. Keep it simple. Your meals should consist of meat/seafood with spices that you most likely already have plus vegetables and fruits. Don't try to make paleo gourmet meals.
    2. You might have to buy some oils and spices at first, and that can be costly. Check out bulk items at your grocery store or online like Amazon to compare prices. Forget flours for the time being until you're more confident in both cooking and shopping skills.
    3. Avoid making paleo treats. Unless if you're a whiz at baking, most recipes are disappointing. Restaurants and bakeries catered to dietary needs often have good treats, but like any other way of eating, they're still treats.
    4. Meal prep. The slow cooker or pressure cooker will become your best kitchen friend.
    5. Get adequate sleep and exercise (depending on your capability). They're just as important to your overall wellbeing as your food intake. Same with stress management.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Been paleo for 9 years now(80-90%). I agree with above - dont try to recreate non paleo foods and baked goods - its better to just eat the occassional non paleo treat (although you may experience gastric distress, which does put you off).

I tend to make sauces much, much thicker - mostly just coated veg and serve with kale, courgetti etc. I like it much better than traditional rice or spaghetti etc.
  • MaggieG2015
    MaggieG2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied - I'll be doing more reading before diving into this so I am prepared and I don't fail. Thanks!