How much sodium do you consume a day?

I find it hard to keep it under 2500 mg.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Lol, like 4000 mgs or more. It's the Asian in me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    My sodium intake tends to be all over the place. Some days, I'm a couple hundred milligrams under my goal and other days, I'm a good 1500-2000mg over. I don't have high blood pressure so I don't really worry about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Depends on the day...I eat a lot of whole foods and/or minimally processed foods that don't have a ton of sodium...then other days like Sunday where I went out for brunch...no idea what my sodium was, but I'm sure it was through the roof.

If you're worried about it, start eating more whole foods and cooking with scratch, whole ingredients. Processed food goods and restaurant foods are where most people run into issues with sodium.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    My sodium intake tends to be all over the place. Some days, I'm a couple hundred milligrams under my goal and other days, I'm a good 1500-2000mg over. I don't have high blood pressure so I don't really worry about it.

My mom is a skinny Asian lady that eats healthy ( eats salty though) with high bp, so I'm weary of it.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Eyeballing the report graph, I average around 1800mg a day. Lowest days are around 1500, highest around 2300. I'm on high blood pressure meds and I've found my BP isn't sodium sensitive, so I don't worry a whole lot about it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    All of it. So high I don't even look anymore.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    too much that i dont track it. I also dont measure when i cook. my BP has always been fine so i dont worry about it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    I struggle to get enough. I have to actually salt my veggies! How weird is that ... it took me a long time to get used to the flavour of salted veggies.
  • Braddlzz
    Braddlzz Posts: 76 Member
    Apparently when I stick to my planned diet I hit about 1500
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Braddlzz wrote: »
    Can you copy and paste a food diary where you achieved this while getting enough calories and protein please?
  • channing2610
    channing2610 Posts: 11 Member
    I heard 2300mg but it sure is hard...I hit and miss alot
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I struggle to get enough. I have to actually salt my veggies! How weird is that ... it took me a long time to get used to the flavour of salted veggies.

I salt every vegetable I eat. I don't think that's weird?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm try to hit over 3000 mg per day
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I'm aiming for 2000 or less. Doctor ordered, but it's hard to hit the doctor ordered calcium goals too. But I'm trying, I just usually go over a bit.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Lol, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but in four years on here, I have not paid any attention. I just looked, and i average around 2,000 a day.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2017
    Good question, I just switched the tracking to show my sodium and it was between 2,000 - 5,000 the past week.

I think it's BS because I eat mostly homemade food, but will often pick my best guess (size/calorie) of a commercial brand when logging my food, for ease of tracking. Commercial food has way more sodium than homemade, but I can't be bothered to create a new personal recipe for everything made at home.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Try getting some flavored salt or seasoning. Garlic salt is good on veggies, and there is another that adds some heat, but can't think of the name now.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    MFP says between 1128 and 3590 over the last 30 days. This doesn't include salt I add to recipes or at the table since I don't track sodium. If you don't have high blood pressure is there any reason to pay attention to sodium?
  • Braddlzz
    Braddlzz Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2017
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Braddlzz wrote: »
    Can you copy and paste a food diary where you achieved this while getting enough calories and protein please?

I could not figure out an easy way to copy and paste it all but because I'm really bored at work I will type it best I can

I'm 93kg (down from 136kg) aiming for fat loss whilst still attempting to build muscle at the gym (I understand this is harder than straight weight loss)

Eating this diet I find I have loads of energy and I think it tastes great

*indicates variable weight - weigh each day, try and choose roughly the same size but it does vary give or take a few grams

breakfast. 300 cal, 15.3mg sodium
    90g frozen mango = 0.0mg
    90g frozen mixed berries = 0.9mg
    142g banana* = 1.4mg
    15g linseeds = 13mg

Blended together for a nice cold fruit smoothy whilst I go to work (I also include a cup and a half of water)

lunch. 274 cal, 106mg
    140g oven baked chicken breast* = 91.3mg
    100g cherry tomatoes (about 15 tomatoes) = 3.8mg
    40g green lettuce = 10.9mg

Just a chicken and basic salad on a plate (pre cooked and frozen chicken for work)

Dinner. 498 cal, 943.8mg
    20ml hoi sin sauce = 774mg
    30g red onion* = 1.1mg
    150g chicken breast* = 94.5mg
    10ml sunflower oil (for pan cooking) = 0mg
    100g Broccoloni* = 8.5mg
    74g red cabbage* = 20mg
    15g green capsicum* = 0mg
    40g spring onion* = 6.4mg
    10g red chilli* = 0.9mg
    30g baby spinnach* = 26.2mg
    100g cherry tomatoes = 3.8mg
    34g carrot* = 8.2mg

Thrown together in a wok or pan as a stir fry - hoi sin is low in calories and low in sugar - very high in sodium so leave out if you wish - just there for some flavour

Snacks. 399 cal, 431.4mg

3pm
    142g banana* = 1.4mg

10:15pm
    1 scoop, c4 pre workout = 0

10:30-11:00pm
    1 scoop xtend bcaa = 230mg

12:30am
    2x scoops, whey protein with water = 200mg

In total this starts from me waking up at 7:30am and going to bed around 1am, includes either 1 hour hard cardio or 2 hours strength training 5 days per week (alternating)

Total protein is 136g - for muscle growth I should increase this However I'm seeing great fat loss, decent weight loss in general and some good strength gains in my lifts

I also take a multi vitamin

Edit - also this falls under my 1500 cal target, I don't eat back what I workout

Mfp says I'm over my protein requirements