Staying motivated

Options
Any tips on staying motivated? My biggest problem is losing my motivation.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Personally, I respond to rewards. I've broken my weight loss goal up into 2 lb milestones (if I had more to lose, the milestones would be bigger), and I reward myself whenever I reach a new milestone. They're small things and generally under $15-20. Once I reach my goal weight, I'm going to spend considerably more than that and buy really nice gift.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    "Motivation" only goes so far. Everyone is "motivated" in the beginning. That enthusiasm has a tendency to taper off over time.

Are you eating enough calories? Are you eating a restrictive diet that cuts out the foods you enjoy? Are you on a strict exercise regimen that you don't find enjoyable?

Simply making sure you're eating a reasonable deficit (e.g., if you have 20 lbs to lose, shooting for 2 lbs per week is way too much) and including foods that you enjoy can be a big factor in long term success. You may not be "motivated" every day, but all you have to do is log your food. Logging gets easier and less time consuming as you go along and build up a reasonable collection of foods and recipes that you use often.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit, and you won't need motivation.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I agree with this. If you aren't "motivated" you are going to default to something. Just don't allow your default to be overeating.
  • kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The motivation for me was seeing the number on the scale get smaller and my clothes becoming too big for me to wear. I did set milestone goals and when I reached them I did reward myself. After losing 25lbs I bought myself a kayak, something I have always wanted. Honestly though, the motivation should be coming from within as you take control over your health. Realizing I had all this confidence and self control has been a motivating factor the whole time. Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    make it habit.

weighing food is habit.
    working out is habit.
    thinking about whether or not i have room for whatever treat.. is habit.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

I generally agree with this, but people sometimes need a bit of motivation in order to put in the work that's required to create a new habit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    make it habit.

weighing food is habit.
    working out is habit.
    thinking about whether or not i have room for whatever treat.. is habit.

^^This. You don't have to feel motivated every single day. Most days I probably don't feel motivated to start my workout. But it's my plan. And I've made a decision to follow my plan because the RESULTS motivate me. I don't want to be in pain again, I don't want to be forced to limit my activity again, I don't want to be fat again. These are the core motivations that are why I do what I do. But that doesn't mean I "feel motivated" on a daily basis. When I do, I'm thrilled, but I don't rely on it. Do you feel motivated to brush your teeth or take a shower every day? I bet you do it anyway!
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Personally, I respond to rewards. I've broken my weight loss goal up into 2 lb milestones (if I had more to lose, the milestones would be bigger), and I reward myself whenever I reach a new milestone. They're small things and generally under $15-20. Once I reach my goal weight, I'm going to spend considerably more than that and buy really nice gift.

I do this, plus I pay myself $2 for each workout completed, then treat myself as often as I want using the money. I also get totally jazzed by seeing the scale go down, knowing that I'm the "master of my domain" :)
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I bought a bunch of small/sexy dresses online. I can't wait to wear them this summer. I'm about 30 years old, I haven't enjoyed my 20s wearing all I wanted. I hate taking selfies or group photos. I hate the way I look. The food I ate, being lazy wasn't worth it. I was always unhappy. I made the DECISION to look fit and sexy for the very first time in my life. Life is short, I would regret it so much if I didn't look the way I wanted.
    I've been working out every day. Trust me, this is addicting. I love my butt is sore, can't lift my arms above my shoulders and walking funny because of painful muscles. I feel so good about it because I'm doing something towards my goal. I know it pays off one day.
    This is what motivates me.
  • jedibeau82
    jedibeau82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started a blog to help myself document the differences I have been seeing in myself during my journey to health. It has really helped me.
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You need goals. Look at them everyday.

What's more important than goals is you need a vision of how you want to look like in 6 months. A year from now.

It's also the little things we do everyday that will determine if you meet your goals or not. Good luck.
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Diet breaks!

Calorie count for 12 weeks. 2 weeks off. Repeat till done.

The mental break break is nice. Eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks is nice. Note, this is eat at maintenance, not go nuts and Eat All The Things.

This is what I have been doing. It is working for me so far. I am down 40 pounds and BMI is in the normal range.

For me, calorie counting gets annoying around the 6 week mark. I accept that I will be hungry from time to time and that I will get more calories tomorrow.

If you over eat, do not be mad at yourself; just move on. Do not try to "make it up". Simply move on.