How to incorporate more activity

Options
Hey everyone, new member here-- refugee from calorie count!

I need help incorporating more activity into my schedule. My schedule's full and busy, because I'm a student and I work. Work is about 10-15 hours a week (I have flexibility), have 4 classes, and spend a lot of time sitting. I have to sit to get to school and my total commute per week is 4-5 hours. I can work from home, which is nice because it allows me to stand and work at the same time. I also toss in some chores which require me to move, like laundry, scrubbing, and cooking. The problem is I spend a lot of time sitting for class, my commute, and studying, I'm not sure if it's possible for me to be lightly active or moderately active.

Any suggestions? I do have flexibility in my schedule to work out 3-4 times a week, but I want to be a little more active outside of my workouts.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You won't be lightly or moderately active, but if you can get a walk somewhere in your day, you can log that as exercise.

Your university will likely have a gym ... maybe you can go there between classes, or before or after, and put in 30 min on the treadmill or take a spinning class or something. I did that with one of my universities. I had something like 90 min between classes one semester, so I took a spinning class which happened to fit that time slot. Another semester, I just used the stationary bikes and rowing machines.
  • rabbitlvr_
    rabbitlvr_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do take advantage of my school's gym! It's much nicer than the one at my apartment. It's easy for me to do that with my afternoon class, but not as easy with my night classes.

One thing I haven't figured out is what constitutes lightly or moderately active? Am I stuck being sedentary forever? After I graduate from school I'll end up working a desk job anyway.
  • Machka9
    Options
    You'll find the Activity Levels within the Guided Setup under Goals:

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • Machka9
    Options
    You may very well be sedentary forever. But that's OK. Just log whatever exercise you do and eat a portion of those calories back. :)

That's what many of us here do.