• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like them both equally.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I hate them both about equally.

At the moment, I'm actually cutting back a bit on cardio and focusing more on the strength training. Only reason being is that cycling (my main cardio exercise) is crushingly difficult after heavy squats.
    But, I am missing the extra calories that an hour of cardio a day gave me!
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love them both! I love running because getting out in the fresh air with my dog and burning off all the stress and anxiety makes me feel really good. And I love strength training, probably because I'm a newbie and I'm progressing quite quickly at the moment. It's awesome to see the changes in my body, not just the way it looks but things like having better posture and not getting aches and pains so much.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Love both, I do a Combat Class followed by Pump FX and is just a great combo. Can't walk properly down stairs after but ah well! Love the muscles that are appearing from strength and the improved fitness from cardio.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm digging on the cardio.

In the beginning I decided to focus on cardio to build my heart and lungs hoping for it and weight loss to also lower my blood pressure.

At my heaviest I do not recall being too weak to perform a desired task. I did however, often find myself too winded to complete a task in a timely manner.

Three months in, I'm edging ever closer to onederland and out of the obese BMI category. My stamina is markedly improved and I plan to slowly switch focus to strength training while maintaining an acceptable level of cardio fitness.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I hate standard cardio, IE: treadmill, eliptical, etc. I would much rather work the heavy bag, battle ropes, etc. Weight training, that's another story. If I didn't need rest days, I would be in the gym everyday.
  • Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important and necessary for weight loss. I like cardio for the "high" and overall strengthing of my heart and lungs. Strength training is awesome for getting toned.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love both, and have managed to lose weight and maintain my muscles by doing a good mixture of the mainly kickboxing, kickboxercise, core and strength and jogging
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I love them both!! Running is my choice of cardio but when it's too icy outside I use the Arc Trainer. I love strength training because I can see the gains I am making!! I believe they are both important for different reasons.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like them both but if I'm in a group class I love cardio. It's fun to work out with a group and it gives me the drive to keep going just when I want to give up!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Hate cardio. Love lifting. However, I still do cardio because it's good for your heart and it burns extra calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While I do like kickboxing and dancing, for body composition I would say lifting wins in my heart.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Where's the third category for yoga/pilates/Barre etc? for a well rounded fitness plan it should be in there somewhere!

Strength: Love it, don't do enough....I'm getting older and need to keep it up
    Cardio: Love it, need to do more...love my summer hikes and more cardio will build more endurance!
    Pilates: Love it, do plenty...strong core helps with so much (AND I've grown about an inch since starting)...really probably my stronger core holds me up straighter!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cardio most, but I know I need both.

I like to compete in various cardio sports. But I'm getting into rowing which is classified as a "power endurance" sport. So I need to lift to help my performance and for injury prevention. I also need it because I'm 46 and need to support my body as it ages.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    They are just tools used to build a fit and healthy body. I enjoy aspects of each. I use each as needed to develop what I need for my goals at the time. Sometimes things are more cardio focused, sometimes I'm deeper into a strength cycle, but I still maintain my cardio fitness level.
  • Karie2017
    Karie2017 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do both.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cardio more (running, cycling etc) strength is still a bit of a chore but I like what it does for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Both are important when you come at it from an overall fitness perspective...they're also both pretty important where your health is concerned.

At this point in my life, my cardiovascular health and fitness are the most important things to me...right now I'm cycling 4 days per week and making sure I'm walking 3-4 days per week. I lift twice per week mainly to supplement my cycling and cross train...the other benefits are improved athleticism and as I age, it's important to maintain bone density and muscle mass. I'm not looking to get swole or squat a gazillion pounds.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Strength. Its made such a dramatic difference in how I look and feel. Though I really like cardio kickboxing.